Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uploadable file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
I see the 'Upload a File' function still has a 32GB limit! That's just asking for a denial-of-service attack and is totally unjustified. I would have thought a 5MB limit would be more than adequate. On the rare occasion that a large high-res image file, for example, was required it could be split into smaller files for upload.
Huge files should be discouraged. Not only are they a problem for users with capped, dial-up or low-bandwidth internet connections, they also waste space on the site's server and slow down the site browsing experience.

I'm with you alec_t, though I would say 50MB would be best, or maybe even the standard 25MB (most email services limit files to this size). 5MB may be a bit too low, but you're correct--32GB is ridiculous!

Pardon the fact this was taken on my phone, i am not at my computer at the moment

Screenshot_2015-03-30-22-27-38.png

OK, it says 32 GB, but it might actually be something else like 32 kb or 32 Mb. 32 Gb is an awfully large limit.

On some forums, the user has a quota for the total amount of files uploaded.

Your 1.421 kb file as an example is 0.14 gb.

So, somebody has messed up a decimal place. e.g. 32 B, 32 kB. 32 Mb, 32 GB or 32 TB. You can scratch off the unreasonable numbers like 32 bytes and 32 TB.

B is usually Bytes and b is usually bits. k gets wierd. Can stand for 1000 or 1024.

Just tried uploading a 2G file and it proceeded as normal until I cancelled it.

Mike.

i missed a comma. 1.421 KB was supposed to be 1,421 KB. There is also a difference between kb (killobits) and KB (kilobytes).

Sorry.

The point though is 32 gigabytes is a HUGE file.

i missed a comma. 1.421 KB was supposed to be 1,421 KB. There is also a difference between kb (killobits) and KB (kilobytes).

Sorry.

The point though is 32 gigabytes is a HUGE file.

1,421 KB is still only 0.0014 GB though. But yes, 32 GB is HUGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back