Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Updating your Browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said his print screen button doesn't work.

That's always been one of my biggest problems. Most of that convenience button stuff never functions or it does something completely different than what its supposed to do.
Same with the pull down menus. Some have lots of choices for things that don't work as well. Lots of gray stuff and little active black stuff.:(

I have a print screen button and have always had print screen buttons on my keyboards but that doesn't mean any of them ever printed anything.
I have a mute button for my sound. All it does is stop what ever music or video track is playing and put away the player.:mad:

All of my F keys have secondary functions as well but I know better than to ever try using them. I have no idea what will happen when I press one but know from experience its either going to be nothing to something completely different than what they are labeled to do.

That's always been one of my biggest problems. Most of that convenience button stuff never functions or it does something completely different than what its supposed to do.
Same with the pull down menus. Some have lots of choices for things that don't work as well. Lots of gray stuff and little active black stuff.:(

I have a print screen button and have always had print screen buttons on my keyboards but that doesn't mean any of them ever printed anything.
I have a mute button for my sound. All it does is stop what ever music or video track is playing and put away the player.:mad:

All of my F keys have secondary functions as well but I know better than to ever try using them. I have no idea what will happen when I press one but know from experience its either going to be nothing to something completely different than what they are labeled to do.

You should try following Hero's instructions.

I myself did not know how to Print screen something. I actually googled it and found a youtube video to learn how it was done. That was just this last December.

There's normally a reason for that, for example suppose you want to print something but you don't have a printer connected to your machine? The menu might become greyed out.

It goes back to the days of DOS.

Back then, pressing the print screen button really did print the contents of the screen to the printer but it only worked in text modes, graphics came out scrambled unless you installed a special piece of software.

When Windows came out, everything was graphics and someone decided to give the print screen a new function but the text on the key didn't change. :D

The F keys go even further back than the print screen. Before the mouse came along menus were activated by pressing certain F-keys and you had to RTFM (Read The Flaming Manual) to discover which F-key did what in that particular program. You could get cheat sheets which were little labels to place next to the F-keys to remind you which one did what for the program you were using.

Nowadays the F-keys are pretty standardised across programs, for example if you press F5 while you're browsing the Internet, the current page will be reloaded, it doesn't matter whether you're using Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera, the same will happen.

All of that I had no idea about. I'm glad I posted this Thread it's all good stuff.

I gave up. Its over my head. :(
I just never have been able to understand PC computer stuff.

Commercial PLC or PLR ladder logic that controls a device or a function is a no brainer for me but this stuff just doesn't click.

It happened once to me that Print Scrn Button is done with Shift key, give it a try and if not try to use along with Ctrl key.

Commercial PLC or PLR ladder logic that controls a device or a function is a no brainer for me but this stuff just doesn't click.

Which is good, I have a friend who is good at that, I think I have told you about it.

He and a Professor, started a company. The professor created the program and he installs it at the Sites. Of course it's updated and improved but overall he will do the programming for the particular location knowing the systems parameters.

They will change out all the old stuff over to Computer Operated Systems. Refinery's, Dams using level sensors and such putting all into the PLC which is connected to the resident Central Control Software etc.

Last edited:
It's confidence.

You're more than perfectly more than intelligent enough to use a computer, you just think you're not so it's no wonder you can't do it because you talki yourself down all the time.

My guess is that you got lost with the big huge menu you need to go through to load Paint and the fact that I have a slightly different theme to the standard Windows setting might not have helped. I temporarily changed back to the original them, which I cant' stand, to show you how to start paint.:D

I'll try again.

After you've pressed print screen (see above), move the mouse to the lower left hand corner of the screen and click the start button.

XP start..PNG

Click run.
XP Run..PNG

Type mspaint into the text box.

XP run mspaint..PNG

Press enter.
**broken link removed**

Go back to my previous post, and continiue from "Paste the image in to Paint"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads