Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Updating your Browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

My computer has been running slow off and on for about a Month.

Over the weekend I downloaded and installed 2 programs Avast and StopZilla.

I always have CCleaner and McAfee on board, I use CCleaner on a regular bases.

My computer was slow as tar. Suddenly I then I thought about firefox maybe it was damaged somehow.

I just did an update this morning to Firefox 3.6 (WoW) what a difference running faster than ever both open browser or just off line.

I noticed it was still running even after I would shut down the browser. Of course I removed Avast and StopZilla when I was done as they didn't pick up anything; anyways.

Firefox 3.6 is faster than the previous version.

I use Opera which is faster still but I accept is a minority browser so isn't 100% compatible with this site.

I don't bother with memory resident AV or any of that rubbish, it slows my computer down. I just use a restricted account and scan anything I'm not 99% sure about. I scan every two weeks or so and I've never had a virus in years, the last time it was my fault because I installed something I shouldn've.

I just tried installing firefox 3.6 and I have a few questions.

Where is the favorites list?
where are the top menu bars?
How do I access any customizing or layout controls?

I have my homepage working but I cant find any other controls for customizing my setup. I assume it has them.

I just tried installing firefox 3.6 and I have a few questions.

Where is the favorites list?
where are the top menu bars?
How do I access any customizing or layout controls?

I have my homepage working but I cant find any other controls for customizing my setup. I assume it has them.

If you were using Exploder before your favorites or saved stuff will be under bookmarks I don't think they will transfer from exploder or MSN. You have to create your own.

To view toolbars you go to view next to file and edit at the top of the browser it will be under view toolbars.

Last edited:
Thats the whole problem. The tool bars do not install so I have no way to adjust anything.
I have installed the whole program and reinstalled it but I cant get the tool bars to activate so I can adjust its layout and I cant figure out how to access them.

What toolbars are you talking about?

If you have some custom toolbars such as Yahoo or Google for IE, they won't work with Firefox, you need to get them for Firefox too.

I recommend installing a couple of extensions for Firefox Adblock Plus and Clippings, especially the latter which can be set-up so you have a list of symbols when you right click in a text box - see attached.

Firefox also has a built-in spell checker but you'll need to install the dictionary for your language.

Attachments

• clippings..PNG
    clippings..PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 204
If Firefox stays running in memory After you close the browser, then one of your add ons is most likely the cause. Try disabling them one at a time. An add on called Ghostery is notorius for this.

If your talking about the browser itself and not ETO then your going to want to go to tools at the top of the browser then your options at the bottom of the selections. You can create new add on's.

Last edited:
If Firefox stays running in memory After you close the browser, then one of your add ons is most likely the cause. Try disabling them one at a time. An add on called Ghostery is notorius for this.

That's not true, Firefox should be completely unloaded from memory when you close all the windows, unless you're using Firefox preloader.

I don't know whether the same can be said about IE, it used to be part of explorer.exe which is always in memory but I think this has changed since XP SP 2.

Here is what I have. I have the tabs for new pages thats it.
I get nothing useful on right clicking and there are simply no pull down tabs like what I see on the fire fox adds and what not.

IE8 has the top tool bars but they are not active in fire fox I want to know how I get them or turn them on if they are already there in fire fox.
Without my favorites folders or any common tool bar functions fire fox is useless to me.

Please post some screenshots.

Don't know how. Never have.:(

I dumped it again shut off my computer and did a full restart then reinstalled from the website .
Now I have tool bars and everything else as well. Its even underlining my misspelled words too! :D

How do I change the font style? I don't care for this one.

Click on tool, options and select content, see the attached if you don't know what I mean.

Attachments

• Firefox font..PNG
    Firefox font..PNG
    21.9 KB · Views: 221
Don't know how. Never have.:(

First thing you want to do is go to your Keyboard then hit the print screen button.

Next go to Paint and open it. It's under programs then at the top is Accessories then look down and find paint.

Next you want to go to edit and past that will put it in paint. Save that to your desktop.

Edit: From there just attach it in your reply on ETO.

Last edited:
I didn't know I could do that:)

Hero999 said:
Click on tool, options and select content, see the attached if you don't know what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:
:)

I'll have to remember that:) :D

Last edited:
That only happens if the Ghostery addon (allegedly) or Firefox preloader.

To ensure Firefox is not in memory, right click on the Windows taskbar, select task manager, select Firefox.exe and click end process.

If you can't find firefox.exe, it's not in memory.

If you end firefox.exe all your Firefox windows and tabs will be closed and you'll loose any posts and emails you haven't sent.

Attachments

• Kill Firefox..PNG
    Kill Firefox..PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 193
First thing you want to do is go to your Keyboard then hit the print screen button.
No print screen here for me. That button has never worked or done anything on any computer I have ever owned..

Its apparently beyond my comprehension and I have done fine without so far so guess it stays as is.
It took me over 3 months to figure out the spell check before and over 6 months of being here to figure out how to link a website in a post. Print screen can wait until next year for me to learn.

If I can't do it in under 5 clicks it typically wont get used anyway. The only reason I wanted the firefox browser was for a better and faster spell check system. I am happy with what I got.

No print screen here for me. That button has never worked or done anything on any computer I have ever owned. Its apparently beyond my comprehension and I have done fine without so far so guess it stays as is.
It's important to learn how to take a screenshot because it's needed when getting help with your computer on any forum.

Here's a retard's guide to taking a screenshot.:D

Press the printscreen button.
**broken link removed**

It will seem like nothing happens but a copy of the screen will be stored in the Windows clipboard, a piece of memory allocated by the OS.

Start Paint, click the picture below to zoom in and find out how.
Start Paint..PNG

Paste the image in to Paint
Paste paint..PNG

Save it:
Paint save..PNG

Make sure you save as a PNG, not a fuzzy JPG or a big BMP:
Save .PNG

If I can't do it in under 5 clicks it typically wont get used anyway.
It takes exactly five clicks to take a screenshot. :D

My previous post contained a couple of typos, here's how to get the font selector window I pictured in my previous post but don't worry about that too much for now, concentrate on taking a screenshot.
Firefox tools op&#1.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back