Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xchaser

Newbie question Hi this component needs replacement on a LED rear stop bar but for the life of me I cant identify it. Looks like Tantalum Capacitor. It is BLACK 4mmx2mmx2mm and has the following information on its top G7 then underneath that ME848. Cant find any trace of it, any help appreciated
1st photo.gif

I presume you mean the third brake light on a car?.

If so, there's no technical reason for having a capacitor, and assuming it was short? - then removing it would restore operation.

I've repaired a number of third brake lights, simply replacing the faulty SM LED's, which are available at low cost, and look identical to the originals (I sourced them from RS Components).

Automotive parts often use in-house numbers, so are of no use, and SM numbering in general is completely useless and it's common you can't identify items.

Again, assuming it is a third brakelight?, draw the entire circuit out - there's hardly anything in it, and it will immediately become apparently what it is.

You are correct I did mean third brake light, I appreciate your advise and will give it a try, many thanks

I presume you mean the third brake light on a car?.

If so, there's no technical reason for having a capacitor, and assuming it was short? - then removing it would restore operation.

I've repaired a number of third brake lights, simply replacing the faulty SM LED's, which are available at low cost, and look identical to the originals (I sourced them from RS Components).

Automotive parts often use in-house numbers, so are of no use, and SM numbering in general is completely useless and it's common you can't identify items.

Again, assuming it is a third brakelight?, draw the entire circuit out - there's hardly anything in it, and it will immediately become apparently what it is.

Hi Nigel many thanks for the info , replaced 3 LED's cost 10 pence, saved £120 on new fitting. Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back