Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown Component Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Hi Ive looked all over net and cant seem too find out what this component is, it was attached too the back of a dc input socket from the positive to the ground on my ham radio it had been blown apart, the transmitter still powered up with this but it was stuck in transmit with no audio. Ive included a couple of photos. Thanks

I think it is a diode.
It appears to across capacitors. What are the markings on the large capacitor in the metal can? Not the little capacitor marked 473.

that's a DOH!! diode. in other words it's supposed to blow the fuse when you hook up the power to the radio backwards, prompting you to recheck your wiring. with the diode blown open i can tell you two things, 1) the power was hooked up backwards without an inline fuse, and 2) once the diode burned open it couldn't protect the radio's transistors from full reverse voltage, and something is likely damaged inside the radio, like audio output transistors......

Cheers for your help, silly question but do you think this is repairable if output transistors still ok?

@ ronsimpson are you referring too the 2pin dc input socket as the large capacitor in metal can?

usually after the diode burns open, some other device will be damaged. this is usually one of the audio output transistors or the RF output transistor, but it could be one of the regulators for some of the other circuits. as long as whatever other device that failed didn't also burn open, there should only be one failed part to find. in a lot of radios, there should be an 8 volt regulator chip for the PLL and RF circuits, and this would also be a likely place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back