Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

universal adapter polarity help - don't want to burn the effect pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitter07

so i have this is Boss dd7 effect pedal, which needs 9V 1A . I have some universal adapter with extensions but not sure which is the right way to turn it in.

first pic is the back of the pedal. which of these two examples (E1, E2) is correct ?

Attachments

• 117391987_641380583425726_7278860885506643675_n.jpg
    117391987_641380583425726_7278860885506643675_n.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 174
  • e2.png
    e2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Your first picture shows that the center pin should be negative, and the outer shell should be positive.

Rather than depending on the somewhat cryptic markings, I would recommend using a voltmeter to see which of the two positions produce the correct polarity.

As ChrisP58 said, E2 is likely correct but if you don't want to risk damage you should check it. If you're in the US you can get a cheap (often free) multimeter from Harbor Freight.

As ChrisP58 said, E2 is likely correct but if you don't want to risk damage you should check it. If you're in the US you can get a cheap (often free) multimeter from Harbor Freight.

Not any longer. They've dumped the really cheap meters and now still stuff in the $20+ range.

Hmmm. It's interesting if I search for "volt meter" on their website, that meter doesn't show up. It only shows up only if I search "multimeter" does that one pop up.

They've eliminated the really cheap ones, and I suspect that one may be next. I don't think my store had that one last time I looked.

Screenshot_20200810-142057_Firefox.jpg

I haven't looked at their meters before, but I know that the one I posted above is the one that regularly goes on sale for around $3 and occasionally has a coupon for free. I've given a few away when the free coupons were more often. OP needs to get one.

if i'm reading the polarity plug correctly E1 is correct with the icon lined up with the sleeve lined up with the + on the other part of the polarity plug.

The + and – symbols on the part showing the connector make it somewhat ambiguous. The safest thing to do is verify the polarity with a meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back