Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unisolated chassis interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

dac

I am sure that someone will find this dumb. I have a circuit that is grounded via a bridge rectifier to my mains supply. Thus it is in fact live and an earthed circuit. If you were to connect these grounds together one or both will fuse. What I need to do is pass a video signal from the earthed one (PC) to the live one (TV without this facility). I have found the connections on both circuits but I need a way of safely connecting them. I have though of using some kind of transformer though I can’t seem to find such. Would it work if I made use of two capacitors (one on ground and one on the signal) to interface these devices or does someone know of a proper way to do this.

Very much appreciated.

dac said:
I am sure that someone will find this dumb. I have a circuit that is grounded via a bridge rectifier to my mains supply. Thus it is in fact live and an earthed circuit. If you were to connect these grounds together one or both will fuse. What I need to do is pass a video signal from the earthed one (PC) to the live one (TV without this facility). I have found the connections on both circuits but I need a way of safely connecting them. I have though of using some kind of transformer though I can’t seem to find such. Would it work if I made use of two capacitors (one on ground and one on the signal) to interface these devices or does someone know of a proper way to do this.

Very much appreciated.

There are basically two ways it's done, firstly you could add a mains isolation transformer in the TV's mains supply - this would be the simplest way!.

Secondly you can isolate the input itself, this is usually done with hi-speed opto-couplers - a number of Hitachi TV sets used to do it like this.

I've just been and dug an old Hitachi manual out (circa 1990), here's a scan of the video input circuit - you do (obviously!) need to provide an independent isolated PSU for the isolated side of the circuit - the Hitachi TV did this with a very small transformer fed off the LOPTX at 15.625KHz.

Attachments

• hitachi.gif
    hitachi.gif
    79.8 KB · Views: 231
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back