Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unicorn PTC fuse possibly a bad design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I was just playing with my Junebug and having it connect to chips and stuff so when I plugged in my Unicorn into the USB port (it had no programming, just to power it) the LED did not light up (I added a power LED). I then short out the PTC fuse and it powers up. I then de-solder the PTC fuse and take off the plastic cover and look inside at the spring? thing and I see that it is fried! I never powered from the USB before so I am wondering whats up. I replaced it with a ferrite bead.

It's a fuse, the thermal fuses were too high a resistance. I've stopped using them (the fuses) and now the kits come with a ferrite bead as your USB port is current limited and self resetting. That's a 1.2A fuse, kinda hard to blow. How did you manage to short out the Unicorn?

Edit, a ferrite bead is the right thing to put there :)

PS Bad design :( I hope not. :) Works great for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back