Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding how this "Solar Engine" works

Status
Not open for further replies.

lud

Hi,
First of all this is not a spam ._., second I want to build this for my friend and I don't understand the physics behind it or how I will build it, how does the magnet interact with the copper thing? How does the physics work here, if anyone can guide me through it, or point me to relevant materials so I can do it myself, that would be helpful thank you

It has a solar cell for power (photovoltaic or "PV" cell) for power.
The motor uses a solenoid type coil and I'd guess a hall effect sensor controlling a transistor, so it can give a brief current pulse just as one of the magnets sticking out from the rotor gets to the best position near the coil pole to give it a kick around.

The loose magnet with the machine could be used to pull the rotor around initially, to set it moving.

Reactions: lud
Diver300 , what does that mean? I did not quite understand it.
Thanks rjenkinsgb , very helpful, I will try making something similar and look up what a hall sensor is.

To power the rotating part, there will probably be a stationary coil and a magnet in the rotating part. A pulse of current in the coil will put a force on the magnet. If that pulse happens at the correct time, the force will accelerate the rotating part.

Some sensor is needed so that the electronics that produces the pulse know when the correct time is. rjenkinsgb suggested that it might be a Hall sensor, which it could be.

The magnet will cause a voltage to be induced in the coil as the rotating part brings the magnet past the coil. That is how generators work. My suggestion was that, although there will only be a tiny voltage when that happens, a suitable circuit could detect the voltage generated in the coil and use that to know when the pulse should be triggered.

Diver300 , I found another video, where it seems like the copper part is also rotating.
At 00:38, the copper things looks like it is rotating.

Nevermind it isn't

Last edited:
This is an example that works on the principle Diver mentioned, using pickup from the same coil:

Physically it's a different layout, but the rotating magnets style device should work with exactly the same circuit - it gives a "kick" each time a magnet passes it, it does not know or care how they are supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back