Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Electronics Basics #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watchin' and learnin' from ya'll

eek! Looking at that, I don't think your gonna learn a lot watching me, how complicated does that look.lol

Glad your still around CBB, as you can see, my first go doing something new didn't go that well, which I will take as a positive as it leaves plenty of room for growth.lol

2am & can't sleep for thinking about work, think I need a less stressful job

So what is a tube, a CRT?

Last edited:
OK, here is an easy problem: [latex]10^{0}10^{1}=[/latex]

and another

[latex]10^{0}10^{0}10^{0}=[/latex]

Last edited:
Tube or valve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

I guess we grew up on them. Me, probably less so, but still have some tube radios and a friend has built tube amps in the past.

Interesting read, so does that loosely work in same way as a bulb? But for different applications.
I got as far as reading about diodes then actually realised I knew what they were talking about, you guys did a good job on my basic understanding

OK, here is an easy problem: [latex]10^{0}10^{1}=[/latex]

10^1 = 10

Same for next one as well as '0' = 1 & 1 changes nothing

I see I'm not understanding something here, the base & ^ = but when you get more than one side by side or *
I can't see how we add the ^ but not the base

Is above answer right? & if we had two different bases, would we also add those or then treat them individually?

Last edited:
That answer is right. Remember that 10^0 is 1. the base^0 is always 1. You just have to remember it.

remember that side by side, Parenthesis ()(), the "*", something that looks like an x but usually thinner, and even a "dot" centered all mean multiplication.

If there were two different bases, e.g. (2^3)(2^4)(10^2)(10^3) then the best you could do is (2^6)(10^5) before getting the real answer of 6400000.

The BASES have to be the same when adding the exponents when multiplying.

I have actually realised where I went wrong here in my learning, I skipped +,-,/& *
Who can't do that..........right *blush*

Never mind, let's try a few more
Then how do we decide what to use logs on, & is log10 the one mainly used

So the base is just signifying the counter we are using
0 of 2 counter = 1 hence second base just saying use the same counter

I see it what I wasn't getting :)

Last edited:
In some respects, the base is one less than you can count to.
e.. 2 [0,1]
4 [0, 1, 2, 3]
8 [ 0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7]
16 [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f]

We can basically have any base, say even 131, but you would need 131 different symbols to represent a digit.

It doesn't always work, but it gets the point across for all but base e.

-----

You still have this problem to do:

You still have this problem to do:

I thought I had, if 0 = 1 & 1 changes nothing, surely it is still
10^1 or 10

You questioning me is making me think it should be 10^3 or 1,000
But I'll stick with my original answer & accept I'm wrong

I'm going to spend the morning reading & practising this subject so at least I'll hopefully have a better understanding :)

I can't believe you got it wrong. Try again. I must be good at making up questions. PS: Spent the evening making 5 pints of pickles.

Last edited:
I can't believe you got it wrong. Try again. I must be good at making up questions. PS: Spent the evening making 5 pints of pickles.

I'm on the case **broken link removed**

Morning KISS, you make fresh pickles, how long would they last you then, bit addictive aren't they

ok, I see where I'm going wrong here as well

1^8* 1^150 = 1

This is where I'm getting my 1's mixed up, if base is 1, it is never going to change, I was using this for 10^0*10^0*10^0

but it is, 10^3 or 3√10 or 1,000 (add three zeros)

found a really good link for the likes of me **broken link removed**

Now leaning math off same site as link, hopefully be able to speak your language soon & pick your brains if I run into trouble :)

I've heard that this guy Kahn is really good over an incredible range of topics. Course, KISS is no slouch, but, as they say, "any port in a storm" (US Navy talk...).

Well, I understand what they are on about with regards tyo negitive numbers now **broken link removed**

hopefully cover decimals then work out that sum KISS said I wouldn't get, can't think why **broken link removed** this is like being back at school, but this time I want to know whats what

Hoping to get some basic ideas into this head of mine so I'll at least have a chance of giving the right answer, you know me, I might fail a thousand times but at attempt 1001, I'll get it

TBH I really never expected all this but it is really interesting as there is an end goal, I've covered 26 topics so far with only 3 million left to go **broken link removed** & I can't even see algebra in there

What's wrong with the above?

The pickles never last very long.

The 3√10, you don't miss a trick do you

I'm saying that because I'm guessing a cubed root is not shown like that but I don't know how to get the little 3 in the front part of the ticky bit (my technical term for it.lol)

Just been out for one of the best meals I've eaten in my life so far, why is it when you get dressed up & expect a great night out, it is normally a let down, yet I went out tonight in scruffs, nothing to celebrate & it's been great :)

Edit: always check your calculator before guessing what the problem is, that symbol is dividing 10 by 3 not * it

https://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard

Im hoping link will show you how far I've got, not even really scratched the surface but I started from scratch, I didn't think it too bad for a days playing. If you cant see yellow stars in map, I may have to alter page to public so you can track my progress
If your interested in how little I really know?

Last edited:
3√10 is 3 multiples by the square root of 10. e.g. 3*sqrt(10)

if your trying to write this: [latex]\sqrt[3]{10}[/latex]

You can write it as 10^(1/3). That is the same as the cube root of 10. 10^(1/2) is the same as the √10.

3√10 is 3 multiples by the square root of 10. e.g. 3*sqrt(10)

if your trying to write this: [latex]\sqrt[3]{10}[/latex]

You can write it as 10^(1/3). That is the same as the cube root of 10. 10^(1/2) is the same as the √10.

So I was right in thinking afterwards that it is not the same as 10^3 (because it's divided rather than to the power of)

Yes,

[latex]10^{\frac{1}{3}}=\sqrt[3]{10}[/latex]

You can write it as 10^(1/3)

It is 10 to the power of, but the power is a fraction.

[latex]10^{2.3}[/latex] is mathematically valid. Not common though.

PS: 1 pint of the pickles is history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back