Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Electronics Basics #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboybob

Most Helpful Member
This is a renamed continuation of the thread, "Understanding Electronics Basics #1.

It started with a thread by Muttley600 titled "12DC Sockets" (that was in the Automotive Electronics sub-section of General Electronics Chat), morphed into "Understanding Electronics Basics #1" and has again morphed into this one.

CBB

A continuation of: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/understanding-electronics-basics-1.125468/

Start over:

A square wave is called a square wave because it's square. Technically a 50% duty cycle. 50% on, 50% off. That makes it square. We just don't call it a "rectangular wave". e.g. all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square.

A "flat top" might earn it a square wave definition, but technically it probably isn't.

Last edited:
Are you sure it takes 3 threads to tell me which terminals I put the crocodile clips on to charge my battery?

Do you think other people are reading these then?

Ok, ok I'm going.lol

On the morrow guys & thanks for your continued support & not quitting on me when I try to tell you 2+2=7

Deleted Off Topic.

Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
In reality, these threads are an attempt to try to teach an overenthusiastic learner some aspect of electronics who lacks a lot of the basics including simple math. I know from other forums that it's best not to overload VB (Vbulletin).

The threads use a lot of simulations as a virtual breadboard with a LOT of diversions.

It started from Muttley600 to want to understand how his cigarette (switching power supply) adapter worked and he wanted a better way to manage the charging of lots of portable devices on a motorcycle such as iphone, video camera, cell phone, Coms link and GPS. He has adapter soup and no room.

Deleted Off Topic.
Moderation.

Deleted Off Topic.

If you want to express your opinion on how a Thread is being handled, start a new Thread in the appropriate Forum, do not hijack an existing Thread.

Moderation.

Are you sure it takes 3 threads to tell me which terminals I put the crocodile clips on to charge my battery?

Do you think other people are reading these then?

Ok, ok I'm going.lol

On the morrow guys & thanks for your continued support & not quitting on me when I try to tell you 2+2=7

We're still with ya, Graham, long as we're allowed.

So other people do read em, as far as forums go, they are a way to communicate with like minded people, it should not be as simple 'sorry topic is covered elsewhere' move on, otherwise we wouldn't use forums, wilkopedia covers all topics & theory's anyways (understanding them is entirely different thou)

I have been very lucky to have worked hard last year & reaped the rewards of a few weeks holiday meaning we have been able to spend quite a bit of time on here until now, sadly back to normal.
But it shouldn't really matter how often a thread is at the top of a page as the forums I do use, I only read the ones that interest me, no matter how often others go to the top.

Live & let live is my motto for life & it has done me well so far

I remember KISS wading in with theory & formulas I didn't understand way back, he took the time to observe & comment as appropriate, after seeing what CBB was up against I feel he made a conscious effort to help (don't tell him he has a big soft heart or he'll lose street cred)

So my message to Sceadwian, I know you not but judge you not either, if you feel you can help me, that's great, I'm sure your input would useful & helpful. KISS & CBB have had to adapt as I am trying to move forward as they learn how I process things, however, please have a read over old threads & if you feel they are already doing a great job & you don't want to add to this thread, please just hit the ignore button.

Whichever way you choose, I wish you well In your journey through life, may it be a very happy & content one :)

Muttley600 said:
I remember KISS wading in with theory & formulas I didn't understand way back, he took the time to observe & comment as appropriate, after seeing what CBB was up against I feel he made a conscious effort to help (don't tell him he has a big soft heart or he'll lose street cred)
<My emphasis>.

Chortle, chortle, chortle. And a grand guffaw as well...

Honest to goodness, I haven't had that good a laugh, this early in the day, since I can't remember when.

Thanks, Graham, well said.

Onward we go into dB territory.

CBB

Graham:

You need to learn a little more math. Start here: https://www.mathwarehouse.com/geometry/triangles/right-triangle.html The problems are easy.

Then look at "special right triangles": https://www.mathwarehouse.com/geometry/triangles/right-triangles/special-right-triangles.php

If you can get through that without issues, then look at ONLY sine, cosine and tangent here:
https://www.mathwarehouse.com/trigonometry/

ASK questions.

What was a killer for me is that when taking Calculus, I had to MEMORIZE nearly all of the special angles and values such as 0, 30, 45, 90 and multiples up to 360 degrees. They all generally can be derived from the unit triangle where one side is 1, 1, and √2 in length. The other can be derived from lengths 1, 2 and √3 and knowing that "Oscar Had A Headache over Algebra". Sin = O/H, Cos = A/H and Tan = O/A. The term "O" means opposite; H= Hypotenuse and A= adjacent.

Once you know what sine, cos and tangent which is sin(θ)/cos(θ), then there are 1/sin, 1/cos and 1/tan which are also given special function names of secant, cosecant and cotangent.

The real value of the basic information is to be able to find any side or any angle of a right triangle given 3 pieces of information, a mix or match of side lengths and angles.

Just concentrate primarily on the sine and cosine and tangent. It should be easy.

The sine function has a value of 0 at 0 degrees and a minimum value of -1 and a max value of +1. The cosine function has a value of 1 at 0 degrees. As you can see here: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x);+cos(x) , cos function is just a phase shifted form of the sine function PHASE SHIFTED. See https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x+pi/2),+cos(x)

Let's hope you can make some sense out of all of this. It's an important concept to grasp.

when we are all done, I hope you would understand that two equations of a circle are:

X^2 + Y^2 = R^2
and x=sin(θ); y = cos(θ)

are equations of a circle with a radius of r The second equation is known as the parametric form where θ is the parameter. The first is known as the Cartesian form or a set of X,Y pairs.

Your not there yet, but that's where we are heading.

Last edited:
ok, ok, I was only joking about the soft heart, I wont mention it again......promise **broken link removed**

but seriously, your right of course, I did starting learning algebra but got distracted due to time constraints & I do need to know whats what if we are to move forward.
Haven't had chance today to do anything as busy at work, so was going to have a play with last sim then I will get onto this, rest assured I will ask questions if needed.....ok, let me rephrase that, when needed

Edit: CBB, on last sim, you added a FET junction: questions, there are two types, was it a N channel or P channel & what is the difference between them?

I'll have a play with things tomorrow as its getting late now but my TR values are reading nothing like yours so I'll play with graph to see whats what, might even answer my own question about square wave **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Let's hope you can make some sense out of all of this. It's an important concept to grasp.

when we are all done, I hope you would understand that two equations of a circle are:

X^2 + Y^2 = R^2
and x=sin(θ); y = cos(θ)

are equations of a circle with a radius of r The second equation is known as the parametric form where θ is the parameter. The first is known as the Cartesian form or a set of X,Y pairs.

Your not there yet, but that's where we are heading.

So your saying the little circle at the bottom where you can drag the triangle around, is all to do with the cartisean plane, I can see where this is heading **broken link removed**

makes more sense now but I need to learn it anyway

There actually are two major kinds of 2-D (2-Dimensional) planes in Mathematics. One is Cartesian which is like the sillyscope and polar coordinates. This plane is a circle. A point on the plane is given by an ordered pair of (p,θ) rather than (x,y). θ is at what angle and p is the length from the center.

Some problems are MUCH easier to do in thus space.

Just like there are two major ways of representing color (RGB) and (CMYK). RGB is the familiar Red, Green, Blue and CMYK is Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, K is actually black. The RGB method is an additive process, whereas the CMYK is a subtractive process. RGB is more appropriate for CRT displays and CMYK is used for color printers. My printer also uses "Light Magenta".

Edit: CBB, on last sim, you added a FET junction: questions, there are two types, was it a N channel or P channel & what is the difference between them?

Read this first.

As you can see from the TINA sim symbol, once selected and placed on the work space, is different from the menu bar symbol.

Note the arrow is pointing in towards the "gate" terminal (unlike a transistor where it's on the "emitter") and that direction identifies the JFET as an "N" channel Type. Arrow going the other way indicates a "P" channel type.

I used it for what I consider its superior switching characteristics (an important element for a PWM circuit) compared to a, say, 2N2222 general purpose transistor.

Last edited:
There actually are two major kinds of 2-D (2-Dimensional) planes in Mathematics. One is Cartesian which is like the sillyscope and polar coordinates. This plane is a circle. A point on the plane is given by an ordered pair of (p,θ) rather than (x,y). θ is at what angle and p is the length from the center.

So what is the other **broken link removed** Now you knew I was going to ask that didn't you **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back