Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Triangulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misc

Hi all.
So I just finished my first experience with sonars. Just basic transmit-receive stuff.

Next would be triangulation, I hope.
My questions are,
1)One receiver, two transmitter or vice versa?

2)If I picked "One receiver, two transmitter", how can the receiver distinguish between two sonar signal from the transmitters?

There are lots more questions, but I need to figure these first before I could move on.

Thanks for your expertise.

What's best is having three or more tranceivers (both TX and RX capable) What's even better is also having an RF link between them all. An RF pulse travels at very close to the speed of light. Sound doesn't. If you send the RF pulse at the same time as the audio pulse and have the receivers time the difference in pulse reception You have a differential measurement of the distance between the RF transmitter and audio transmitter. It's basically using the RF pulse as a master clock synchronizer. If you add a two way communication link all the devices can discuss amongst each other their location. Although designing the protocol would be a little difficult.

Last edited:
What are you trying to do exactly?

Have you considered sending a IR flash and ultrasonic signal at the same time? For the distances involved IR light travels so fast you can assume it's instant. You can use the receiving of the IR pulse to basically tell you when the ultrasonic pulse was sent (since we are assuming IR light is instantly fast). THat way you can just time the length between receiving the IR light was received (basically when the ultrasonic pulse was sent) and time how long it takes for the ultrasonic pulse to arrive. YOu can use this with the speed of sound to figure out how far away the thing is.

You can do this with 3 stationary receivers and 1 mobile transmitter. The transmitter sends both IR and ultrasonic. The receiver senses both IR and ultrasonic. You can also use RF isntead of IR (basically the same thing, different wavelength of radiation). If you use this method and onyl have 1 transmitter, you don't need to differentiate between different ultrasonic/IR pulses.

EDIT: I realize that I said the same thing Sceadwian did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back