Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Transducer/Reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

Hi,
A few months ago I got a few T/R40-16B ultrasonic transducers which send and recieve ultrasonic signals in the same package. Now the problem I'm facing is the transducer is so new there isn't any information on applications on the net (that I can find atleast). Idealy I want to set them up as rainwater tank level sensors and transmit the levels to a pic microcontroller via 433mhz wireless.

Question:- Has anybody seen or used these transducers and maybe point me to a few application notes or circuit schametics???

Cheers Bryan1

Attachments

• tr4016b.jpg
    tr4016b.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 2,186
bryan1 said:
Hi,
A few months ago I got a few T/R40-16B ultrasonic transducers which send and recieve ultrasonic signals in the same package. Now the problem I'm facing is the transducer is so new there isn't any information on applications on the net (that I can find atleast). Idealy I want to set them up as rainwater tank level sensors and transmit the levels to a pic microcontroller via 433mhz wireless.

Question:- Has anybody seen or used these transducers and maybe point me to a few application notes or circuit schametics???

They look the same as any other ultrasonic transducers, there are plenty of designs on the net.

Hi Nigel,
True there are a few schematics on the net but all the ones I found use 1 transducer for transmitting and another for recieving. I was hoping I could get a link to show a circuit using the transducer I have but when I google the part number for ideas it comes up blank or just gives links to suppliers. If you or someone else has links to application notes would it be possible to post them as I keep drawing blanks when I try :oops:

cheers Bryan1

bryan1 said:
Hi Nigel,
True there are a few schematics on the net but all the ones I found use 1 transducer for transmitting and another for recieving. I was hoping I could get a link to show a circuit using the transducer I have but when I google the part number for ideas it comes up blank or just gives links to suppliers. If you or someone else has links to application notes would it be possible to post them as I keep drawing blanks when I try :oops:

It's normal to use seperate transducers, particularly as they have very different characteristics - the transmitter is series resonant, and the receiver is parallel resonant.

As a minimum to use the same transducer you would need to either switch the transducer between the transmitter and receiver, or arrange a configuration that connects to both without causing interference with each other.

Looking at this device, I'm not so sure it is Ment to be a Reciever/Transmitter Simutanously.

I would be more inclined to believe that you can use it as a Reciever, Or as a Transmitter. In other words I Think you need Two of them.

Just my opinion.

Hi guys,
I know this is a basic question but with the transducer in the photo is the long lead negative or positive? . As this is my first time playing around with transducers I dont want to short circuit the guys in my first attempt. After looking again at some sites I've got a good idea on how set up a test circuit .

Cheers Bryan1 :D

bryan1 said:
Hi guys,
I know this is a basic question but with the transducer in the photo is the long lead negative or positive? . As this is my first time playing around with transducers I dont want to short circuit the guys in my first attempt. After looking again at some sites I've got a good idea on how set up a test circuit .

They aren't usually polarised, but one lead normally connects to the metal can, this should obviously be used as the ground connection.

Hi bryan,
i have the same problem like you..
i have no idea how to drive this transducer to be one as transmitter and the other to be receiver..
could you pls give me some sites or directions on how to use them..
:D

Hi Bryan,
Did you manage to find anybody who has used these transducers and did you come across any application notes or circuit schametics.
Cheers Robottech

hello, i want to use a high frequency transducer to propagate sound in water, the frequency is about 320 kHz, can anyone help me?

You will have great difficulty in using then for short range as they don't shut-down fast enough for you to start to listen. That's why they use two for short range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back