Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Range Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

URF = Ultrasonic Range Finder

Ok i want to make a small mobile type car. But just with a URF, small motor and maybe a power led with a led on/off and a power on/off

The goal i have it basically when the user gets close to the vehicle it moves away. Sort of like a guy trying to catch a chicken. I want to play a little prank on my wife. I want to embed this into a pack of cigarettes and have it move away from her every time she tries to get one.

Ultrasonic Range Finder - Maxbotix LV-EZ1
Features:

* 42kHz Ultrasonic sensor
* Operates from 2.5-5.5V
* Low 2mA supply current
* 20Hz reading rate
* RS232 Serial Output - 9600bps
* Analog Output - 10mV/inch
* PWM Output - 147uS/inch
* Small, light weight module

My question is how is everything done ? More or less. I know the distance is measured by Analog /PWM output. What PIC would i use to get the input and then send the output? I know there are alot of i/o pins in some pics.

Ok i assume i get the input and have stages set up depending on input like:

if Analog Output = 50mv move forward slow ' 5 inches away
if Analog Output = 40mv move forward a bit faster than before ' 4 inches way
if Analog Output = 30mv move forward faster' 3 inches away
etv..

i basically want to measeure from 6 inches and closer. What PIC can i use to measure mV's and general info on how to program it or a code sample or link to such info would be awsome.

I suggest to convince your wife to change smoking habits towards huge cigars, such as a 10$ Havannas. With that box you get all the necessary electronic stuff into it. :D

Doing this with ultrasonic is more difficult than it need be. You could ring the "pack" with LDRs and use the approaching shadow of the person as something to run away from. Maybe just sense the change in light level and run away from that. Could get interesting. ;)
You could also use IR proximity detectors, but she might get too close before the "cigs" see her. Either way, it's going to take some creative coding.

Boncuk said:
I suggest to convince your wife to change smoking habits towards huge cigars, such as a 10$ Havannas. With that box you get all the necessary electronic stuff into it. :D
We think alike. :D
I was reading AtomSoft's first post, and I had the same thought. Then I read your post and cracked up.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back