Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultra Violet Radation Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
All photodiode sensor amplifier circuits I have gathered use current-to-voltage or transconductance amplifiers, leading to my conclusion that current output from the photodiode must be proportional to the light input.

Since the UV sensor OS100 (Note that I do not call it UVB any more as I have just found out from its spec that it covers all UVA, B&C) outputs only tens of nA currents, I have been looking for Op Amps with input bias currents less than 1 nA. TL081 is one (so is AD795) though the required supply voltage level (7 volt) is higher than what I would like to have.

As for many other low supply voltage devices such as LM358 the input bias currents can be tens or even hundreds of nA, a level comparable to the current from the photodiode it self! I hesitate to choose any of them as I have no confidence in developing a reliable circuit around any of them.

May be I should still try? Any circuit technique to overcome the "large" input bias ?

There are hundreds of Cmos low voltage opamps available. Their input bias current is nearly zero.

Tarsil said:
Use a FET/MOS-FET preamp then.

I have not thought of this approach. A matched FET/MOSFET as differential inputs ? Would there be input offset problem then? Likely a balance adjustment pot is required ...... All need to be done at a supply voltage of 3 volt or below ......

I would try it out if I fail evetually to get an OP Amp working at this low supply voltage AND with input bias current less than 1 nA.

Before opamps were invented, a pair of matched FETs in a single package was available. You are re-inventing old stuff!

Whould be a nice touch to have 2 matched FET's in a single capsule. Those types of dev were used until mid 80's (I think) quite a lot. I haven't seen any new ofer. I used some pairs scavanged from old stuff and where stil OK (exept those i fried :lol).

I have some 2N3958s if you're willing to pay me for shipping I'll send some to you.

audioguru said:
Before opamps were invented, a pair of matched FETs in a single package was available. You are re-inventing old stuff!

I do not really mind inventing old stuff, when there is the need and when I have spare time.

Thanks all for offering the advice and help. As I said I cannot wait and I have used the TL081 to build a simple circuit for UV meter. Please refer to the circuit diagram.

Using a 9 volt battery the TL081 Op Amp is configured as a currrent to voltage converter and the output is displayed by a multimeter at 100 mVDC range.

It works just as expected. By comparing to real time display of local UV Index by our Obvervatory (local meterological office) I have been able to calibrate the meter, to an accuracy of no less than 20%, I expect.

With this meter it is interesting to find out that ordinary lamps give out little UV while window glass stops almost 90% of UV lights from the sun .......

Further improvements possible ?

Any comments ?

How about using 3 volt battery ?
How about lowering the supply current ? (now 2.5 mA)
How about ........?

Suggestions are welcome !

Here is the link to our Observatory

**broken link removed**

and the circuit diagram ....

Attachments

• UV Meter.GIF
    UV Meter.GIF
    9.7 KB · Views: 225
wow!!!...About 3V....use a voltage converter IC:D
If u're in HK then....don't know...I think u're in electronics heaven:D and u an find a lot of things.

Hong Kong, being a free port, does have a lot of trading companies accessing all parts of the world for "a lot of things". However that is only for trading, not for us hobbyists.

So when I say available locally, I mean available in some of the retail shops within just a few miles around the city.

Using a voltage converter to boot up from 3 volt is a good idea. However I prefer simple circuits --- so I am keen to find any op amps working at the low voltage level and yet have input bias current below 1 nA. If there is none in the market (but why none, I just wonder ?) I will need to build one my self ......

Tarsil said:
wow!!!...About 3V....use a voltage converter IC:D
If u're in HK then....don't know...I think u're in electronics heaven:D and u an find a lot of things.
Well I've bought like 25pcs of some chips from nonretail companies....I ordered them with 3 friends (hobyst also).
About low voltage: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/10/tlc25l4.pdf
Realy like those opamps (a bit exp for my taste thought).
U could use a Charge-Pump Voltage Converter like MAX619 (doesn't use a coil) and it's like 3.5 $ at retail. At 5V u'l found more suitable opamps.

Actually test it by using a reference mter, but your lizards get UV light from the sun, correct... so I say calibrate using the sun to be biologically accurate, is not Industrially correct but your lizzards did not evolve in a lab :D
redserpent1

Tarsil said:
Well I've bought like 25pcs of some chips from nonretail companies....I ordered them with 3 friends (hobyst also).
About low voltage: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/10/tlc25l4-1.pdf
Realy like those opamps (a bit exp for my taste thought).
U could use a Charge-Pump Voltage Converter like MAX619 (doesn't use a coil) and it's like 3.5 $ at retail. At 5V u'l found more suitable opamps.

Thanks a lot Tarsil. This is exactly what I have been looking for in the last two weeks: TLC254 --- working at 1.4 volt up with input bias current less than 0.06 nA !

See if I can get one locally !

Olihou said:
Thanks a lot Tarsil. This is exactly what I have been looking for in the last two weeks: TLC254 --- working at 1.4 volt up with input bias current less than 0.06 nA !

See if I can get one locally !
Hope u can! I was asked to order like 250pcs...but maybe HK has it's advantages:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back