Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UK Citezens (Esp Engineers!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

Status of Engineers

For a long time now the title of Engineer has been watered down (A sanitation engineer.... Road sweep) such that now Car mechanics, plumbers and electricians are now commonly referred to as engineers and banks now regard engineers as semi skilled. Engineer's almost lost the ability to sign off passports a few years back due to this continued watering

Help out the status of Engineer to try to get the job-description/titles protected via royal-charter

**broken link removed**

pass it on

hi styx,

At one time, the level of expertise, was supposed to be 'mechanic', technician' , 'engineer'.
These grades gave some insight into the qualifications and experience of the "engineer".

As you say, anyone can say he/she is an 'engineer' without being challenged, as to how they came by that qualification.
Obviously during interviews, some proof of qualification should be asked for.

For the past 35 years I have been a Chartered Engineer, but I have never encountered a 'status' problem with Banks or other Institutions regarding the recognition of the salutation.

Regards.

Eric Gibbs C Eng; M.I.E.T.

edit: Styx, whats the esp for in the thread name?

Last edited:
I was recently asked for my occupation when applying for something or other and when I said "engineer", the lady's response was "manual worker then?".

When I did my degree in the early 70s, it was recognised that engineering was professional occupation. The status issue isn't really a problem to me but it is annoying when it starts affecting insurance premiums.

I've already signed that one. I agree completely even though I'm not a chartered engineer myself; I suppose I'll have to call myself an electonic and electrical designer.

My only issue with this petition is it is calling for only chartered members of proffesional bodies to be able to use the "Engineer" label

I have been trying to get chartered for the last 4years and it aint easy (esp with the IEE/IET using the new system... can't get enough managerial evedence)

I signed it though because I know that the IEE/IMechE have been lobbying the Gov'n hard to get the term "engineer" protected under royal charter (like phamacist and such) and the gov'n came back and ask them to define what an engineer was

THIS forced the IEE (not IET) to change their acceptance method to charterchipp from a more "old mans club" to a structured evedence-driven method as well a provide a structure of assessing whether a university/BTEC/... classes as accredited

I would go as far as saying only those from an accredited course can legally use the title
Must be a member of IET/IMechE BUT those associations MUST do more!!!

as it stands I am only part of the IET to become chartered (eventually) they don't do anything else for me at all
My wife a clinical pharmcist for the NHS has her governing body looking after the likes of her developement, proffesional conduct and such

Last edited:
Sounds like an extortion/protection scheme to me. We'll protect the name but only if you pay the bucks for us to protect it? Who really cares? If you do good work you won't have trouble finding a job. If you don't do good work you won't.
I can understand the usage and positive aspect of unions, but protecting a superfluous title is not one of them. If you really don't like the way the word is going in it's general use, think up a new one on your own, who knows you might get extra credit from an employer.

Here in Oz the "Institute of Engineers" has a pretty good racket going - their certification is eventually going to be required by defence.

At least to join and call yourself an engineer, you just have to show a degree. Getting chartered status is tough, but I do appreciate the need for "engineer" to be protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back