Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uart communication between two different microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsrao

Hi...i want to communicate usart communication between 2 different microcontrollers...what are the hardware conections we have to give for communicating between 2 different microcontrollers...and how to take care in the software part like baudrate must be same for both controllers...? please suggest as i am new to microcontroller programming..

Thanks in Advance

i have done a search on net but i am not able to find any thing for communication between 2 different controllers....

If the distance is short (less than a foot) then you can connect them directly (Tx to RX twice) assuming they are both TTL level devices. For longer distances you will need an RS232 chip at each end. Yes, baudrate must be the same on both ends plus parity and number of bits.

Mike.

If the distance is short (less than a foot) then you can connect them directly (Tx to RX twice) assuming they are both TTL level devices. For longer distances you will need an RS232 chip at each end. ...

I hate to argue with someone who's opinion I respect so much, but even TTL level comms can run long distances, usually with no problems (at least at lowish baudrates).

I've had no problems with 0-5v 19200 baud run over 50 feet, even using crappy telephone style cable. The same setup seemed to also work fine at 56k baud in testing but I settled on 19200.

Hey Pommie, have you been getting into ARM chips now? I wondered why I had not seen you in many PIC threads lately... ;)

Hi Roman,

I've had problems at a few feet but that was in a very noisy environment. Even so, I was rather cautious at 1 foot.

Not getting into Arm, this thread just showed up in the New Posts list. I'm not around as much lately hence the lack of siting in PIC threads.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back