Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART and RS 232

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm. Not really. RS 232 is the physical layer standard (that defines the slew rate, voltage level, input impedance of the receiver and driving capabilities of the transmitter). The UART frames the data. Traditionally RS 232 is used with a start bit, stop bit and 8 data bits, inverted logic, but this is not defined in the rs232 standard. However most UARTs driving RS 232 use this standard, so it has become accepted as such

Its a touchy subject... but asynchronous transmission... rs485 , rs232 etc.. doesn't necessarily have to be implemented in that way..
I use RS232 protocol WITH a current source / sink to travel over 100 metres on cranes...That is only the software portion.. the hardware I make myself.

Its not really anything..... RS232 seems to be the best protocol... so I created a 6mA current loop for the transfer.... 5v connection
Its my hy-brid but the protocol is definitely RS232

As others have said, RS232 is the actually physical connection, with it's +/-12V swing - the protocol you're using is just standard serial, something like 9600N1 (depending exactly what you're using).

Why did you specifically use a current connection?, it's fairly obscure (and only of use in certain circumstances).

the connection is a two wire galvanized steel core with a copper braid outer core... current loop is the best way...

But!!!! enough about my system... I don't want to hi-jack this thread.

Last edited:
Nigel... I have always seen RS323 as a protocol.... protocol is language communication.. I saw the hardware... -12/12 volt level shifting as an aide for this protocol.

I may have misunderstood

Hang on.... thinking about it... why else would the chip be an RS232 converter...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back