Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tv screen frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the term pixel for a lack of a better term. When I look at the screen on my 20 inch tv, I see well defined rectangles in red,green,blue order.
Those rectangles are made of 3 different types of phosphorus,to get the 3 colours. I call these rectangles pixels. But I know computer programing,
and what pixels are. Most computer screens use a 32 bit number to represent
each pixel on the screen.
The term pulses was also used for lack of a better explanation. I understand that the 3 guns are always energized and only the intensity of the beam is altered to give you the different brightness of each colour.
But as that beam changes in intensity won't it simulate pulses at certain frequency?
I guess the best way to answer my question is to send an image from my computer to the tv screen and place a frequency meter near the screen.

With just a lighted screen of any colour including white, a single scanning line on the CRT of a TV is flickering pulses at 50Hz or 60Hz and at 15.8KHz or 16kHz. The duty-cycle is very low because the CRT is drawing all the other scanning lines and its beams are turned off during each retrace line. A light detector used to measure the frequencies might not function with the low duty-cycle and/or the high frequencies. Computer monitors use higher scanning frequencies.

If the screen is modulated vertically then another flicker frequency is added that is a multiple of the lower frequency if the image doesn't move, or any low frequency higher than 50Hz or 60Hz if the image moves.

If the screen is modulated horizontally then another flicker frequency is added that is a multiple of the higher frequency if the image doesn't move, or any high frequency higher than 15.8kHz or 16kHz if the image moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back