Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV Remotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMW

Maybe someone else has seen this, but it was new to me.
A friend was having trouble programming her cable remote to activate her TV. The symptoms "were" once the remote was programmed, and the TV turned on the, the cable box would cease to operate. Well the channels would start to scan but and that was all. Once the TV was turned off, the cable box was normal.
She had two remotes and cable boxes, nothing seemed to work. I emailed the cable company and the manufacturers, either no response or "not our problem."
I had an epiphany during the night. It is a small room, with several pictures and a glass chandelier, could it be????. Turns out, a reflection from the picture was causing the problem.
Next step is to cover the detector to make it less sensitive.

Unusual problem. Usually reflection is useful, especially if there are obstacles between the remote and its intended receiver; the remote can be aimed almost anywhere in a room and its signals will be detected.

Try a piece of transparent Scotch tape You can even cover the top with black tape and leave a little exposed. BTW, the tape will reflect in from the edge.

A more expensive approach is an IR repeater.

"Solved" the problem. Glued an eraser to the picture frame, this tilted the picture away from the cable box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back