Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV problems with SCART socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingaz

Hi,

I have an Orion (phillips) TV. I was watching a DVD earlier today, everything worked fine. I turned off the DVD and TV as normal. When I went back to it, it now only plays DVD's in black and white. If I swap the scart lead to the other socket (which is normally used for my satelite reciever) it plays fine. I have tried a couple of other things (VCR's) and they all display in black and white when they are connected via the 2nd scart socket.

I have tried changing scart leads, and checked for dry solder joints and any obvious signs of failure. Still it only shows B&W.

Anyone have an idea what may be the problem?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
In anticipation, Thanks.

Have you inadvertently set the second SCART socket to be S-Video?, there may be a menu option for this, and would make it B&W.

Thanks, never thought about this. I'll have to check. My daughter quite often plays with the remote.

Nigel, are you psychic? It was a problem with the source settings in the TV menu. All working ok now.

Thanks

I think my TV is finally ready to be recycled.

Now I have no sound, but good colour picture. Damn thing gave me a shock too when I touched the scart socket. (I didn't like that)

I think my TV is finally ready to be recycled.

Now I have no sound, but good colour picture. Damn thing gave me a shock too when I touched the scart socket. (I didn't like that)

You got a very low current 120V shock, perfectly normal, and it's a consequence of two core double insulated TV's (or DVD's, VCR's etc.).

Do you have sound on normal analogue channels?, if so it's probably a poor SCART connection.

It certainly wasn't a HV shock, enough to make my toes curl though!:eek:

I managed to download the Service Manual. I have gone into the service menu and reset everything back to factory standard (as described in service manual).

It works now, but for how long? To be honest, I think it's time to upgrade to an lcd or plasma. I've had this tv for about 10 years now, so it's not done too bad.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back