Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV - On Screen Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin094

I am currently looking for a cheap way to display overlay text on a TV.
I have seen the BOB-II board and that is pretty much what I would like.
The problem is that I really don't have the budget in the project to
spend the $70 bucks on the board.

What I need is a simple interface to allow me to overlay text on an
incoming video signal. The video signal will be coming from a camera
mounted on a rover vehicle. The module will be used to display the
location of the vehicle (GPS cordinates) and some other selectable
on board sensors.

I know that there are chips out there that are capable of doing what
I want. Anyone know were I can find them or how much there are?
Is there another board that is cheaper that has the same ablities as
the BOB-II board?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Philips makes several OSD parts. (OSD is what you should search on their site). The problem is that many of them are only going to work on digital data, so you will need converters on the front and back end. Have you considered using a PC+tv tuner card. Those are very easy to do OSD on, and I am guessing you will use some kind of computer to interface with your robot.

There are many chips which do this, the problem is finding data on them. I did one a number of years ago using an NEC chip, simply because it was the only chip I could get data on.

A further problem is the short production runs of these chips, mine was obselete by the time I used it, and I never managed to get a sample of it's later replacement. Dontronics did a board based on an ST chip, but I understand that's discontinued as well now.

I have used a VHDL to implement an OSD on a vga signal but most of the code was taken from a book that came with a Altera demo board.

I was hoping to be able to make the unit smaller by not having to have a PC involved but it is begining to look like that option is not going to work.

Here is another question are video capture cards real time or is there a significant input delay? I was under the impression that the incoming video signal was delayed before reaching the screen.

I would suggest you buy the bob II module, it uses a STV5730 (SGS) chip wich is extremly easy to use (compared to others). Since the STV5730 has been taken out of production, getting it on a module like the BOB II will be the only way left to obtain one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back