Tv as pc monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruTechis1337

I have a tv that can be used as my computer monitor. If I want to capture video from my tv and put it on my computer is there any program I can get that will do that?

A television (NTSC, 525 line interlaced scan) is completely unsuitable for use as a monitor since the late 1970's. The vertical and horizontal amplifiers do not have the bandwidth. If you're talking one of the new hi-def digital models with a VGA and a USB port then you might have a shot.

TruTechis,

If I read your post correct you want to watch TV on your computer.

I have some TV tuner cards that add TV to your computer.
I also have some video cards that have a composite video input.

In both applications you get a 525 line window that allows you to see broadcast video on the computer. There is another mode for watching in full-screen mode.

You've not been very clear, but I'm presuming you're using a TV that also has a VGA port on, so it can be used as a monitor?.

When you're using it as a monitor, that's all it is - if you want to capture video you would need to fit a TV card in your computer, and connect your aerial to that.

(TV@nywhere puls) It is a $43 card that has a TV and FM radio. You can record video. There must be a hundred different kinds of cards like this.

You can of course watch movies and such on a TV from a properly equipped PC with some sort of TV-out tuner. However, the TV's not going to have adequate quality & resolution for displaying web pages and such. Not unless you turn the resolution waaaay down.

You might consider looking at modern TV's. My TV is a Sony Bravia, 52" LCD with vga/hdmi input and 1080i resolution. 1600 x 1080 images are crisp, and small font text is readable beyond 8-12 feet.

HD broadcast TV is (sometimes) awesome, too.

320 x 525 is soooo 1980's. But back to the OP; what kind of TV are you planning to use as a monitor?

As suggested, most modern LCD and Plasma TV's have VGA inputs and perform well as monitors - they don't have the high resolution of a pure monitor, but it's plenty high enough - the whole point of a massive monitor is to be visible from a distance, and you can't see the higher resolution from a distance anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…