Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tv as pc monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruTechis1337

I have a tv that can be used as my computer monitor. If I want to capture video from my tv and put it on my computer is there any program I can get that will do that?

A television (NTSC, 525 line interlaced scan) is completely unsuitable for use as a monitor since the late 1970's. The vertical and horizontal amplifiers do not have the bandwidth. If you're talking one of the new hi-def digital models with a VGA and a USB port then you might have a shot.

TruTechis,

If I read your post correct you want to watch TV on your computer.

I have some TV tuner cards that add TV to your computer.
I also have some video cards that have a composite video input.

In both applications you get a 525 line window that allows you to see broadcast video on the computer. There is another mode for watching in full-screen mode.

You've not been very clear, but I'm presuming you're using a TV that also has a VGA port on, so it can be used as a monitor?.

When you're using it as a monitor, that's all it is - if you want to capture video you would need to fit a TV card in your computer, and connect your aerial to that.

(TV@nywhere puls) It is a $43 card that has a TV and FM radio. You can record video. There must be a hundred different kinds of cards like this.

You can of course watch movies and such on a TV from a properly equipped PC with some sort of TV-out tuner. However, the TV's not going to have adequate quality & resolution for displaying web pages and such. Not unless you turn the resolution waaaay down.

You can of course watch movies and such on a TV from a properly equipped PC with some sort of TV-out tuner. However, the TV's not going to have adequate quality & resolution for displaying web pages and such. Not unless you turn the resolution waaaay down.
You might consider looking at modern TV's. My TV is a Sony Bravia, 52" LCD with vga/hdmi input and 1080i resolution. 1600 x 1080 images are crisp, and small font text is readable beyond 8-12 feet.

HD broadcast TV is (sometimes) awesome, too.

320 x 525 is soooo 1980's. But back to the OP; what kind of TV are you planning to use as a monitor?

Oznog said:

As suggested, most modern LCD and Plasma TV's have VGA inputs and perform well as monitors - they don't have the high resolution of a pure monitor, but it's plenty high enough - the whole point of a massive monitor is to be visible from a distance, and you can't see the higher resolution from a distance anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back