Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

turntable needle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbech

Todays cd recorders like the Teac LP-450 uses a single needle for all 3 speeds. In the past, a different needle was used for the 78 rpm records and the 45/331/3 records. Now, one needle is used for all three. How can this be? The 78 grooves are different from the 45's. Does the single needle do any damage to any of the records? I have read that the same needle for all records is not a good way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
rbech

It is surprising that you have interest in preserving/dubbing 78rpm records into compact discs. You may have unique material to preserve. For your question, it may be as the modern needles made with diamond are more forgiving than the needles in the times of the 78 rpm records. There is several types of modern needles (well, not modern any more) , and I would say the ones designed for microgroove would not be convenient on 78rpm grooves. But a standard type use should work fine.
The diamond needle, in healthy condition does not damage any record.

78rpm records can use the same needle as 45 and 33; perhaps you are confusing the even older records meant to be played with steel needles in hand cranked 'Victrolas'

When I played vinyl records 47 years ago, my rich friend bought the latest and best Shure cartridge every year and gave me the old one that still worked perfectly with a weight on the elleptical diamond needle of only 1.25 grams. Cheap cartridges had a needle weight of 20 grams or more and destroyed the grooves.

Thanks for responding to my question. I don't believe that being a diamond needle is the answer. They had diamond needles back in the 50's but you still used a different needle for 78's. The grooves are different which means the material in those grooves is read differently from the grooves of a 45 thus the different needle. The needle for a 78 is slightly larger than those for a 45 and I don't mean 78's from the 20's and 30's. Some 78's were made in the 50's and required a different needle.

47 years ago I played 33 RPM records. I never played an antique 78 nor 45.

47 years ago I played 33 RPM records. I never played an antique 78 nor 45.

45's were never any more 'antique' than 33's - just LP vs a single.

I'd like to point out though that you use a STYLUS to play records, not a NEEDLE - and that 78's require a completely different stylus to 33/45 microgroove records.

You 'can' play 78's with a microgroove stylus, but it's not optimal - and will also cause more damage to the record.

The reason 'modern' pickups don't have 78 styli, is simply that 78's were obselete 60+ years ago.

there are stylus (double edged) that could be turned around to have thicker pin to be able to handle 78rpm. for 33 and 45 they use one side.

The groove format on a 78 differs from that on a 45/33. For a 78 the stylus tracks the bottom of the (relatively wide) V groove, which represents mono information. For a 45/33 the information is instead carried by the side walls of the (relatively narrow) V groove (mono or stereo). So the tip of a 45/33 stylus is more rounded than a 78 stylus. A 45/33 stylus will tend to rattle around in a 78 groove. A 78 stylus may damage the side walls of a 45/33 groove.

the stem being common, the styli for 78 is different from that used for 33 and 45. perhaps a photograph speaks thousand words. searching for one for crystal pickup and for a magnetic one separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back