Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turning a TV into a video feed link

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how best to describe my latest crack-pot project idea, but I'll give it a go!

Right, it’s basically a video phone (visual and audio) but through a standard TV. I'm aware that it isn’t legal or all that easy to transmit on the regular TV channel frequencies. But would it be possible to make Tx/Rx modules for the two line feeds (audio and video) and somehow integrate it into a TV so that you could tune your TV into it and then communicate in real time with someone else with a similar setup as if it was a normal TV channel? I'm thinking of doing this over a distance of about 15 miles max, and mostly at night.

I hope that was clear enough, any help or guidance would be most appreciated!

A good starting place would be here...
http://www.discovercircuits.com/T/transmitter.htm
and these links may be usefull...
http://www.estss.com/DEMO/HW/XMITTER/

The use of a computer (with telephone modem)at either end of the proposed system might be a better way of doing it. Instead of plugging into a commercial phone line connect to a transmitter..
**broken link removed**

I am not entirely sure if webcam / messenger software will work, but windows does support virtual private networks,but cant find anything about windows working as a video phone on a direct dial link.

As a last thought, have you considerd a laser rather than RF ?

canadianpoet2012 said:
I'm not sure how best to describe my latest crack-pot project idea, but I'll give it a go!

Right, it’s basically a video phone (visual and audio) but through a standard TV. I'm aware that it isn’t legal or all that easy to transmit on the regular TV channel frequencies. But would it be possible to make Tx/Rx modules for the two line feeds (audio and video) and somehow integrate it into a TV so that you could tune your TV into it and then communicate in real time with someone else with a similar setup as if it was a normal TV channel? I'm thinking of doing this over a distance of about 15 miles max, and mostly at night.

I hope that was clear enough, any help or guidance would be most appreciated!

It's clear, but as you already know it's seriously illegal in the UK - 15 miles is a hell of a long way for wideband TV transmissions, you would need a great deal of power to do it - chances of been caught would be pretty high. Potential penalties include confiscation of equipment (where EVERYTHING connected is confiscated - I know people it's happened to!), unlimited fines, and jail time!.

Apparently begging and pleading to the judge helps, one guy I know got less for his third offence than his first two - simply because of his attitude to the judge - last I heard he had never got any jail time (so far).

You would also be talking a lot of money to do it - certainly more than a TV!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back