Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn Your IPod Into A Universal Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice idea of doing it.

And i didnt know that linux runs on I-pods.(I wod also like to see linux for my phone since it also uses an ARM CPU and runs at 120Mhz wich can even run 3D graphics)

It's pretty impossible for me to import anything these days, so you guys are clever right?
Please tell me how to do this...
Make the little infra-red transmitter / receiver thingy!
Cool! 8)

This shod work whith any mp3 player.

What you do is conect an phototransistors to your PCs microcphone input and record an signall from an remote.Then you save it as an mp3 and the portable player will play back that signal in to an IR LED conected to the headphones plug.

Its an realy simple idea.But 44Khz (the sampeling rate) is a bit close to 38Khz (the freq. remotes work on).

Im thinking of building an PIC music player out of an old 30GB PC harddrive(I have one laying around).The loop that reads it mus not be more than 200 instructions long on an PIC18F. (If more the sampleing rate wod become too slow for audio)

Hey man, you again, between you and Nigel this place is the best ever!
Thanks for all the help lately...
So it's that simple eh?
I hoped so, was gonna try that...

Still gonna try that!!!!!!! 8)

All you need is an MP3 player that samples at 44khz and IR LED and an phototransistor.

Too bad i cant use my IR port on my phone to controle my TV.(PDAs can do that.)

what I'm saying is you and Nigel give me the best answers, especially when I'm struggling to get my point / question accross...
I probably dont even come across as english most of the time...

I mean consider my previous post in this thread thingy, I spelled the word "accross" or "across" two different ways!

Here too I suppose!

would the mp3 IR remote work on my IR phone (siemens sf65)

No becose remotes work on about 38KHz and IR data transfer works at more than 400Khz.

Some palms can transmit 38khz to control the TV.

oooh i have a palm pilot (quite old, was given too me) dont think it would work, dont think its got sound recording ah well lol...

yeah, "omniremote" is quite nice, i used it allot with my old palm

could someone please give me a circuit diagram for both the IR Recording Device and the transmitting device

thankyou

Hi guys,
Just recently found this forum and been reading up loads as new to electronics etc, and stumbled across this thread and have a quick question about the IR on PDA's as I have a Dell Axim X5 and have the TV remote software but found that the range from the pda was pretty poor to say the least :(
Would it be easy to increase the power of the IR from the PDA to get a better range to control the TV etc?
Would it be a simple matter of replacing the IR transmitter in the PDA with a more pwoerfull one (ie from an old remote control) or would it be something a bit more involved like upping the power to the IR?

Thanks in advance

you cant replace the IR transmitter in the PDA but you can make a multiplyer or an amp for it. just make a schematic that reads IR data and then sends out the same data 10 times more powerful. the easyest way to do it is with pic microprocessor (or other similar), but i think i can be done without any programmeble processor. just need some transistors and iverters and op amps and oc cource resistors and IR LED's. can't give you a schematic now sadly

???

Someone Electro said:
This should work whith any mp3 player.

What you do is conect an phototransistors to your PCs microcphone input and record an signall from an remote.Then you save it as an mp3 and the portable player will play back that signal in to an IR LED conected to the headphones plug.

Its an realy simple idea.But 44Khz (the sampeling rate) is a bit close to 38Khz (the freq. remotes work on).

Im thinking of building an PIC music player out of an old 30GB PC harddrive(I have one laying around).The loop that reads it mus not be more than 200 instructions long on an PIC18F. (If more the sampleing rate would become too slow for audio)

What? Although the method described to record the signals might work, the method described to play them back wouldn't. The voltage out of a regular headphone jack isn't high enough to power an IR LED, correct? The Griffin TotalRemote works by incorporating a capacitor, hence the bulgy design. When the IR signal is recorded, it is converted to a sound file so it can be played on an iPod/PDA. A short, high burst of sound waves is added to the beginning of the sound file, just powerful enough to charge up the capacitor until there is enough voltage for the IR recording to be released, powering the LED. Pretty cool, huh? Just thought I'd let you know. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back