Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn signal circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBblaster83

I'm having a problem with my turn signals, actually the problem is I don't have any, hazard lights either. Someone on another forum suggested I change the relays since the fuses were all good for both. So I changed the relay for the turn signals, they worked for about 5 minutes a day then no turn signals again. I haven't had time to check the entire circuit for shorts. I do have wiring diagram.

Any thoughts?

It may be of much more help if you can let us know the make/model, and post up the schematic.
With scant information, we are pretty much left guessing.

Regards.

Depends on the car. On a 2000 Impala what happens is this:

Turn signals are generally intermittant and will stop functioning. Turning the hazzard switch on/off will temporarily restore turn-signal function.
Replacing the Hazzard switch will restore all functionality permanently. There is more to the hazzard switch than a switch.

In much older vehicles where the hazzard switch is on the column, problems may be related to the turn signal mechanism.

On a 2000 Impala what happens is this:
Turn signals are generally intermittant and will stop functioning. Turning the hazzard switch on/off will temporarily restore turn-signal function.
Replacing the Hazzard switch will restore all functionality permanently. There is more to the hazzard switch than a switch.
That was common on 1970's Nissans too.

I have a 95 Dodge Dakota. I will try to get under to the fuse box and put in the hazard relay tomorrow.

Will let you know!

So I got the new hazard relay in today, unfortunately it still didn't work. However, I noticed today that my hazard button was up, showing I had my hazard lights on. I don't know how long this had been going on, but since I didn't have that relay in it didn't show up, I didn't notice, anyways. I turned that off and my turn signals started working again.

Is this what was meant about the Nissans and Impala?

Glad you got it working.

On the Nissans, all of the turn signal circuits went through the hazard flasher switch. The hazard flasher switch would fail, maybe from lack of use and tarnished contacts. Then nothing would work.

On the Nissans, all of the turn signal circuits went through the hazard flasher switch. The hazard flasher switch would fail, maybe from lack of use and tarnished contacts. Then nothing would work.

Pretty much the same for me. he "click", goes through the left driver's door speaker and the front speakers aren't working. That's a secondary issue.

It took a while to find that hitting the hazard switch On/OFF (it's much more than a switch) would restore functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back