Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Turn Circuit On/Off With Momentary Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

martianman

Hello All,
I want to turn a circuit on and off using a momentary contact switch. I have a 4011 NAND Gate and and CD4027BE flip flop but every circuit diagram I've found doesn't do what I want. I'm using a 5v and 500mA power source. Any help is much appreciated! :)

P.S. I only want to use 1 switch. I found a circuit that used 2 bits with 2 switches using a 4011 NAND Gate: one set and one reset. This is not what I want.

Hello All,
I want to turn a circuit on and off using a momentary contact switch. I have a 4011 NAND Gate and and CD4027BE flip flop but every circuit diagram I've found doesn't do what I want. I'm using a 5v and 500mA power source. Any help is much appreciated! :)

P.S. I only want to use 1 switch. I found a circuit that used 2 bits with 2 switches using a 4011 NAND Gate: one set and one reset. This is not what I want.

hi,
For a 4027 this circuit will toggle the output for each clock input.

Attachments

• AAAimage03.gif
    AAAimage03.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,833
Hi Eric,
I tried out your circuit in a few different ways and I couldn't figure out how to work it correctly. Let me give an example to make this easier for me. I want to use a 4027 or 4011 IC with one momentary contact switch to turn on and off an LED with one push. :)

Hi Eric,
I tried out your circuit in a few different ways and I couldn't figure out how to work it correctly. Let me give an example to make this easier for me. I want to use a 4027 or 4011 IC with one momentary contact switch to turn on and off an LED with one push. :)

hi,
Look at this dwg, it does work.

If your push switch is 'noisy' [contact bounce produces multilple inputs]
you will have to use a debounce circuit for the clock.

What type of switch is it.?

Attachments

• AAAimage04.gif
    AAAimage04.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,700
This is a nice little chip that will handle up to 8 buttons.

**broken link removed**

Ok I tried the second diagram you gave me Eric; that one didn't work for me either. Maybe I'm just hooking it up wrong... Could you give me a diagram with the pin names and pin numbers? I'm extremely confused here...

Debounce

Using a momentary contact switch in Eric's circuit is always dodgy.

They normally produce a stream of pulses "switch bounce" and your output will be random depending on whether you get an odd or even number of bounces big enough to toggle the flip-flop.

Try putting a cap (1-10µF) across the switch or a debounce circuit using your 4011 chip.

debounce.JPG

Ok I tried the second diagram you gave me Eric; that one didn't work for me either. Maybe I'm just hooking it up wrong... Could you give me a diagram with the pin names and pin numbers? I'm extremely confused here...

hi,
Post your circuit diagram, lets see how you have the 4027 configured.:)

Note what I said about a 'noisy' push switch, debounce will be required.
Do you have a 4093 or 40106 ic on the bench.?? or any Schmitt type ic.?

Using a momentary contact switch in Eric's circuit is always dodgy.

They normally produce a stream of pulses "switch bounce" and your output will be random depending on whether you get an odd or even number of bounces big enough to toggle the flip-flop.

Try putting a cap (1-10µF) across the switch or a debounce circuit using your 4011 chip.

View attachment 31766

hi hdc,
Your circuit works fine with a change over switch, not with a simple push to close switch.

I would guess if the OP has a change over switch he wouldnt need any logic ic's.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back