Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tube TV problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kentucky Fried Cholesterol (KFC) has a new chicken sandwich called Double Down. It has an awful lot of cholesterol and way too much salt. It will cause a heart attack in a short time. Teenagers are eating too much of this new junk "food".

Today chickens are fatter than pigs used to be. The fattest ones are kept for breeding and spend their entire lives in front of a container of fat food that is laced with hormones to make even more fat. They are 3 times the weight of healthy chickens years ago (that could fly like a bird). Most have crippled legs because they can barely stand up.

You can make a degaussing coil real easy. You need about 20 turns of wire in a 12" diameter coil. Connect a 100 watt house light bulb in series with the coil. Connect it to 120 volts AC the light bulb acts like a resistor and lights up. The coil produces a magnetic field. Hold the coil in front of the picture tube, move the coil around and around in front of the tube and at the same time slowly move back away from the tube. You may have to step back about 8 to 10 from the tube to completely degauss it. If 100 watts is too much power use a smaller light bulb 40 watts might work better.

I can't even understand the 30+" CRT junkies...in my opinion CRT's should not made more than 25", anything more than that is horrible..well in my home we use a perfect 25" Panasonic LCD television.

Last week I sold my P4 PC with CRT monitor for just Rs: 4000, obviously I didn't get anything from the CRT -just like the story of 60$ 32$ television -anything is better than nothing(nice deal for the seller!)

You can make a degaussing coil real easy. You need about 20 turns of wire in a 12" diameter coil. Connect a 100 watt house light bulb in series with the coil. Connect it to 120 volts AC ...
No.
20 turns is not enough.
A degausiing coil for a TV has 100 turns or more. Then it has enough inductance to limit the current without using a wasteful resistor and the magnetism is strong enough to do its job.

Last edited:
I can't even understand the 30+" CRT junkies...in my opinion CRT's should not made more than 25", anything more than that is horrible..well in my home we use a perfect 25" Panasonic LCD television.

Last week I sold my P4 PC with CRT monitor for just Rs: 4000, obviously I didn't get anything from the CRT -just like the story of 60$ 32$ television -anything is better than nothing(nice deal for the seller!)

Depends where you live in the World.

We get all the dumped stuff here.

China rules....

Cheers

I have never seen a little 25" LCD TV in Canada. It is a computer monitor.
Most LCD TVs are high definition 60" ones. Some are 3D.

Nobody fixes old TVs anymore.

How old is too old? I don't have tube sets, those are stripped for parts.
My oldest set is a Zenith SF5533G2, from 1990 - a recent acquisition. I ordered a manual from Sams in Indianapolis. Have other sets from Sony, Citizen ( one with VCR built in, works), and Magnavox.
Oddest part I have is from Philips - CFM102, smaller than a matchbook with 5 pins.

How old is too old? I don't have tube sets, those are stripped for parts.
My oldest set is a Zenith SF5533G2, from 1990 - a recent acquisition. I ordered a manual from Sams in Indianapolis. Have other sets from Sony, Citizen ( one with VCR built in, works), and Magnavox.
Oddest part I have is from Philips - CFM102, smaller than a matchbook with 5 pins.

The funniest part is I would gladly restore a Philips K9 TV to it's original factory condition. Even a Sony 191 or 192.

Beautifully built. Problem is to obtain Tubes. Delta and old Sony Trinitron Tubes are obsolete....

Ask any old South African tech what his favourite set to work on was. It will be the old Philips K9.

Plug in modules and reliable as ever. Philips peak. And that was around 36 Years ago....

My ultimate discovery would be to find a warehouse full of brand new K9's.....and mod them to handle today's stuff.

You just don't get quality like that anymore.

Beautifully engineered to last.

Cheers :)

My life revolves around quality.....I absolutely hate the Chinese crap I am fixing now on a Day by Day basis :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back