Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tube TV problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaching

I have a 32in. TV that got jarred a bit during a move. It has some discoloration in the corners, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to fix it.
I've called Best Buy and various other stores and they all charge big bucks to fix it.

Is there a way I can do it myself?

Last edited:
Discolouration in the corners sounds like you've magnetised the screen, and it need deguassing - or dislodged something on the inside at the back of the tube (such as disturbing the position of the scan coils). Worst case is you've damaged the actual shadow mask inside the tube.

However, a 32 inch CRT set is effectively worthless anyway, we throw perfectly working ones away on a daily basis.

Lol. Yeah, I'm not too proud of my hefty CRT myself, but I'm saving up for a big one and it might take awhile.

In the meantime, do you know where I might be able to degauss it? Can I get the tools to do it myself for cheap?

You need a deguassing coil - not particularly cheap, if they are even still available?.

LOL - actually, I've seen them for sale at local Fry's Electronics stores; not sure about where you could get one on your side of the pond, tho!

I bet if you do some research, you can find "plans" for building one; I know I have seen plans in old Popular Mechanics magazines (that, or the "do it yourself" Pop Mech encyclopedia) - they're basically a large coil of wire (ie, one side of an open-air transformer) connected to the mains with a button.

However, a 32 inch CRT set is effectively worthless anyway, we throw perfectly working ones away on a daily basis.

Instead of throwing them away...put them on a boat and ship them to us. We will find a use for them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Lol. Yeah, I'm not too proud of my hefty CRT myself, but I'm saving up for a big one and it might take awhile.

At least you have a TV. And it's a 32" as well. Nothing wrong with a CRT unless you are driven by smugness to keep up with folks that earn the money to both be able to buy and maintain a Plasma or LCD TV.

Plasma and LCD TV's are expensive to repair. CRT are far cheaper to repair.

If the Technicians involved hate getting their hands dirty......they will encourage changing to Plasma or LCD. Throw away the CRT they will say.

That's the truth

Cheers

I have finally realized the truth. My input here is worth very little.

As a Tech that is wasting his time repairing stuff that others simply throw away.

I bid you farewell.

My 32" CRT Sony TV stopped working. It was 8 years old. I ordered replacement parts from Sony (not generic cheap parts) and they sent the wrong parts even though I ordered the correct part numbers. The second set of parts were correct but lasted only one week. I asked a local TV repair shop if they wanted the TV and they said no. So I threw it away.
My kids bought me a better and newer used Sony 32" CRT TV for only $60.00. It works fine.
Nobody fixes old TVs anymore.

The second set of parts were correct but lasted only one week.

That's because you didn't repair it properly, you have to repair the reason it failed, not just replace the obvious parts that had gone.

I asked a local TV repair shop if they wanted the TV and they said no. So I threw it away.
My kids bought me a better and newer used Sony 32" CRT TV for only $60.00. It works fine.
Nobody fixes old TVs anymore.

$60 for a 32 inch CRT? - that's big money - £20 if you can find anyone who would want it, I wouldn't accept a perfectly working one as a gift.

My wife and I are happy with our used $60.00 Sony 32" CRT TV. Its screen is perfectly flat. It is very clear and bright.
It has a very small amount of mis-convergence.

I've never paid for a television in my life! All of my sets have been freebies that needed minor repair to get them working again. I've had some nice sets over the years that others gave up on from large Sony to Mitsubishi, to RCA. I've never paid for PC monitors either! I even repaired a nice 7" LCD/DVD undercabinet mount unit that needed a new CCFL ballast board. I modified a $6 generic ballast board to work both electrically and physically in the chassis. Works like a charm!

Any 32" TV has its own degausing coil wrapped around outside edge of tube. They have been in all color CRT's since late sixties.

32" is about the size CRT that may have earth magnetic field bias setting switches. If it has these switches they need to be set based on orientation of TV relative to compass heading.

The internal degauser is run by a carbon puck thermistor that enables degausing when when set first turned on, when thermistor is cold. It could be bad.

Other possibility is movement of purity rings which are located with handle tabs around neck of CRT. These are mounted in plastic mounts which gets baked out from CRT heat over time. Then add some bouncing around and tabs move screwing up purity.

Procedure for alignment is,

1) make sure shadow mask is not magnetized (aka degauser)
2) turn down blue and green guns so only red is showing. Adjust purity tabs so screen in uniformally red.
3) bring back blue and green bias to get balanced white screen back.

Here is the kicker. Many times adjusting purity alignment also changes convergence. This requires a dot/bar generator to align the deflection matching on the three guns so dots of red, blue, and green align on top of one another (no color band ghosting). You can whip up a dot/bar pattern from a computer that has video card that can output to TV.

All in all, probably time to get a new HD flatpanel.

Last edited:
The convergence on my 32" Sony TV is only slightly off. The degausser works because when the TV is turned on it makes a loud HUMM! sound for a few seconds that fades away. I think Sony's trinitron TVs use many fixed magnets for convergence that fall off.

Oh yeah. I have a speaker without magnetic shielding very close to the TV. The convergence is perfect when it is moved away.

I have a 32in. TV that got jarred a bit during a move. It has some discoloration in the corners, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to fix it.
I've called Best Buy and various other stores and they all charge big bucks to fix it.

Is there a way I can do it myself?

The yoke may be loose/moved

I'd sell you my collection of 25 degauss coils from Canada. All you pay is shipping. They can be shipped flattened in a pizza box.

I'd sell you my collection of 25 degauss coils from Canada. All you pay is shipping. They can be shipped flattened in a pizza box.
:p:p

I rather choose the pizza :D. Enough copper here to last a lifetime. Faulty copper insulation and all don't taste nearly as good as an old pizza....

Cheers

Last edited:
Years ago an "all dressed" pizza was inexpensive and a very nutritious meal. Now it is simply bread with some tomato sauce, some very fat cheese and slices of fat meat so thin you can see through them.
Remember when a Large pizza was huge? Today it is extra small.

A pizza shop in my town sells a party pizza that's two rectangular pizzas about 12"x18". It costs $15 for cheese and 1 topping. The owner is an Italian and he's not skimpy with the toppings either. The dough is thick and just a few slices fills me up. I think it's 30 slices total.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back