Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to troubleshoot a DC computer fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Sims

Hello,

I just bought a new case / CPU cooler fan which im using for a different purpose. For no apparent reason, it simply stopped working. I took it apart and checked power on the circuit and its definitely getting power. So I went to the electromagnet control chip which has these markings on it:

FTC
s310.4wi

I looked at the data sheet for it, but could not specifically find the data sheet that includes the 4wi portion of the packaging ... no big deal, I thought ... but of the few different S310 data sheets that I looked at, I noticed that Vcc on pin 1 can usually vary from 3 to 20 volts. However, I'm getting 2.5 volts on Vcc, which I think is my problem. I am using a 12 volt power source, the same one Ive been using to test the fan. I have tried more than one power source since the fan quit.

In an effort to troubleshoot the possible low input voltage, I traced Vcc over to a cap then to a resistor etc. I thought maybe the cap went out, so I pulled it and tested it, and it rates within 10% of printed spec.

My problem is, I don't know where to go from here. I can see no obvious burn marks on the circuit board, nor can I see any obvious damage to the rest of the circuit. I did initially take my heat gun from my soldering re-working station and I re-melted all of the solder on the board just to make sure there weren't any cold solder points...

I'm at a loss. I cannot get the inductor coils to show any kind of signal at all. I don't have an oscilloscope, or I'd look at the two output pins on the IC to see if they were doing anything. I did put my volt meter (A Fluke 115) into AC voltage mode and I read 0v at both outputs of the S310, which adds up since the coils are not lighting up.

Any thoughts on this? Here is a picture of the circuit board if that helps anyone:

nZjPNuz.png

Thanks to anyone who chimes in.

Last edited:
Hey michael, personally I wouldn't bother repairing computer fans since they're so "cheap", but then again, there are some models that are pricier and perhaps good to repair. But, as for that 4-wired component, this datasheet I found:
http://www.feeling-tech.com.tw/km-master/ezcatfiles/cust/img/img/26/fs310lfv04.pdf
in typical application circuit, there is diode before vcc pin, so that would explain voltage difference.
BUT, what sort of fan is it? I'd presume It's 4-wire (vcc,gnd, tacho, PWM)
Normally these require only vcc+gnd, but some models need PWM also (annoying).
EDIT:above is quite irrelevant since it did work for a while at least.
AC voltage mode and I read 0v at both outputs of the S310
You're better off using DC setting, I'd think. You can test hall-sensor with magnet, outputs give different output depending on polarity, see datasheet for idea.
Also, check that there is continuity between coil com to l1/l2, in case there is looming open circuit there.

That's all I could think for now, since you alrealy re-melted solder joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back