Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to fix a Garmin sat nav. Can't identify the reed switch. Pic attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I think I've made some slight progress. I turned the sat nav on a few days ago, and the 'gps is off' message had gone, and I can now view the satellite status page, but it doesn't show any satellites. I had a play, but then found that the ribbon cable thats in the black shroud on the cable had come out. So that tells me that the 'switch' to turn the aerial on and off is in the aerial itself. If i knew what wire to cut I may be able to get it working. I just don't fancy guessing at it,lol.

I may have to peel the tin foil off the back of the aerial and have a look inside.

Gareth

How many wires are on that ribbon cable that goes to the Aeriel?

Hi guys,

sorry havn't updated for a while, been busy with house diy stuff. I've had another look at it all, and I don't know how I missed it, but theres a small magnet in the antennae housing. When the antenna is folded down (ie GPS off) if centres over a small 3 pin component. Im guessing its some kind of reed switch, and it seems to be stuck in one position or another.

The component says "12E" on it. Does anyone have a data sheet or any info on it? If I could determine whether its NO or NC, the I coud either cut a leg off it, or join 2 together.

Thanks in adance.

Gareth

------hall effect device------

Hi guys,

Another update. I done a quick bit of research just now on hall sensors, and most of them seemed to be NO, so i took the risk and just cut the sensor away from the board, and hay presto it picks up satellites. So all in all a bit off a result.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Gareh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back