Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to find 10 turn 10k Pot for a mobility project ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snokol

Hi- this is my first post here and wanted to ask if any ones seen any 10 or even 20 turn pots I could use with the following **broken link removed** ?

The reason Im looking for high turn knob is simply because I want more variations of speed otherwise not possible with something lesser , but unfortunately Im having trouble in finding it seems thusfar .

I was hoping to use this controller along with **broken link removed** for a mobility vehicle ( im disabled ) which Ive been trying to build over the last 18 months.

The Pot would be using analog output and was going to be using the single pot to control the 2 motors as opposed two ( which I think would be too tricky )

Im currently working with someone to build a custom frame I can use with based on what is effectively a knee walker ( if your interested you can read more here )

Thats about it, if any one has any ideas regarding the POT or anything else Id really be very interested in hearing your suggestions.

thanks,

snok

I went to digikey.com
In the search window I entered pots, then chose trimmers, selected 10k, selected 10 through 20 turns and found 209 different parts. (selecting 10 thought 20 turn was not easy)

Here's one that's 2 watts, may be more than you need, they also have smaller (cheaper) pots.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_183521_-1

From what I understand if I want as much speed variations as possible for my 5 volts I am going to need more turns to compensate for the 50% of the voltage thats already allocated for neutral ( 2.5 v ) and reverse speeds , so Im not aware of how else I would reach that without using 5 or 2.5 % , as opposed to say 10 or 20% because Id be too under or over the 2.5 v for neutral .

The only other option I can think of would be 25% , but then Im assuming Id have no reverse because the 25% would mean it was already in neutral .

Have I got that right ?

thanks again for replying,

snok

Last edited:
Here's one that's 2 watts, may be more than you need, they also have smaller (cheaper) pots.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_183521_-1

Sorry , please excuse me Im bit slow at figuring all this out ( I suffer from dyscalculia ) so I tend to get easily confused and panic.

The terminals for the Pot can take up to 1amp and the controller itself has overheating / thermal protection so im assuming 2w should be ok given the maxium voltage is 5v ( 5watts ) ?

thanks

snok

Last edited:
The output of your pot should be feeding a fairly high-impedance amplifier input in order to preserve its linearity. Power dissipation shouldn't be a problem. But don't do anything stupid such as grounding one end of the pot and putting a power supply output on the wiper. Rotating the pot wiper toward the grounded terminal would be certain destruction. $$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back