Trying to find 10 turn 10k Pot for a mobility project ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snokol

Hi- this is my first post here and wanted to ask if any ones seen any 10 or even 20 turn pots I could use with the following **broken link removed** ?

The reason Im looking for high turn knob is simply because I want more variations of speed otherwise not possible with something lesser , but unfortunately Im having trouble in finding it seems thusfar .

I was hoping to use this controller along with **broken link removed** for a mobility vehicle ( im disabled ) which Ive been trying to build over the last 18 months.

The Pot would be using analog output and was going to be using the single pot to control the 2 motors as opposed two ( which I think would be too tricky )

Im currently working with someone to build a custom frame I can use with based on what is effectively a knee walker ( if your interested you can read more here )

Thats about it, if any one has any ideas regarding the POT or anything else Id really be very interested in hearing your suggestions.

thanks,

snok

I went to digikey.com
In the search window I entered pots, then chose trimmers, selected 10k, selected 10 through 20 turns and found 209 different parts. (selecting 10 thought 20 turn was not easy)

I should chosen "rotary linear" 10k 10 turn and there are 54 different parts.

Here's one that's 2 watts, may be more than you need, they also have smaller (cheaper) pots.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_183521_-1

From what I understand if I want as much speed variations as possible for my 5 volts I am going to need more turns to compensate for the 50% of the voltage thats already allocated for neutral ( 2.5 v ) and reverse speeds , so Im not aware of how else I would reach that without using 5 or 2.5 % , as opposed to say 10 or 20% because Id be too under or over the 2.5 v for neutral .

The only other option I can think of would be 25% , but then Im assuming Id have no reverse because the 25% would mean it was already in neutral .

Have I got that right ?

thanks again for replying,

snok

Last edited:
Here's one that's 2 watts, may be more than you need, they also have smaller (cheaper) pots.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_183521_-1

Sorry , please excuse me Im bit slow at figuring all this out ( I suffer from dyscalculia ) so I tend to get easily confused and panic.

The terminals for the Pot can take up to 1amp and the controller itself has overheating / thermal protection so im assuming 2w should be ok given the maxium voltage is 5v ( 5watts ) ?

thanks

snok

Last edited:
The output of your pot should be feeding a fairly high-impedance amplifier input in order to preserve its linearity. Power dissipation shouldn't be a problem. But don't do anything stupid such as grounding one end of the pot and putting a power supply output on the wiper. Rotating the pot wiper toward the grounded terminal would be certain destruction. $$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…