Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to build a custom case

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkwaffen

I want to take an old paintball gun case and add in a custom security system. I want to hold my laptop and accessories and essentially the case will become a "mobile command center" as it was so lovingly termed by my wife. I want to add in a secure door keypad and some sort of locking mechanism to hold the lid of the case shut until the code is entered. I have the case, and have picked out a few parts, but I am unsure if they will work together or even how to get them too. That is why I am here. :)

Similar to the case I have:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Keypads:
**broken link removed**
Keypads (Last one)
**broken link removed**

Power:
Smith-Victor BP2 Camera Light Battery - 662100 - Buy.com
**broken link removed**
Compact Size 12V DC 1800mA Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery pack
S-3001 Digital Portable Power Pack 5.5V, 9V, 12V DC output

Solenoid thingie: (What is the difference between continuous and intermittent in regards to these solenoids?)
**broken link removed**
Electroswitch Inc. - C8-141012DC-AY - Allied Electronics
Electroswitch Inc. - C12-241012DC-AY - Allied Electronics

Have some sort of a way to activate the circuit in case of battery failure.
You wouldn't want to have to cut into that nice case.

Have some sort of a way to activate the circuit in case of battery failure.
You wouldn't want to have to cut into that nice case.

Yeah I had planned on trying to find a way to be able to plug it in in case of battery failure. If I used some sort of rechargeable battery with a retractable cord built into the case with the plug external, I think that would do the trick. I was thinking a RC vehicle battery or something to power it all. My main issue is the keypad and getting it to work right. I want to use the cheaper "matrix" type keypad I had linked, but I am unsure of how to get it to accept a 4 digit pin to activate the solenoid. The original idea stemmed from the link below which is a from scratch RGB keypad for an interior door in a building. I realized that it was far to much work for what it is worth and going with a pre-made keypad or whole system like the enforcer was a better idea.

How-To: Make an RGB combination door lock (Part 1) - Hack a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back