Trying to build a custom case

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkwaffen

I want to take an old paintball gun case and add in a custom security system. I want to hold my laptop and accessories and essentially the case will become a "mobile command center" as it was so lovingly termed by my wife. I want to add in a secure door keypad and some sort of locking mechanism to hold the lid of the case shut until the code is entered. I have the case, and have picked out a few parts, but I am unsure if they will work together or even how to get them too. That is why I am here.

Similar to the case I have:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Keypads:
**broken link removed**
Keypads (Last one)
**broken link removed**

Power:
Smith-Victor BP2 Camera Light Battery - 662100 - Buy.com
**broken link removed**
Compact Size 12V DC 1800mA Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery pack
S-3001 Digital Portable Power Pack 5.5V, 9V, 12V DC output

Solenoid thingie: (What is the difference between continuous and intermittent in regards to these solenoids?)
**broken link removed**
Electroswitch Inc. - C8-141012DC-AY - Allied Electronics
Electroswitch Inc. - C12-241012DC-AY - Allied Electronics

Have some sort of a way to activate the circuit in case of battery failure.
You wouldn't want to have to cut into that nice case.

Have some sort of a way to activate the circuit in case of battery failure.
You wouldn't want to have to cut into that nice case.

Yeah I had planned on trying to find a way to be able to plug it in in case of battery failure. If I used some sort of rechargeable battery with a retractable cord built into the case with the plug external, I think that would do the trick. I was thinking a RC vehicle battery or something to power it all. My main issue is the keypad and getting it to work right. I want to use the cheaper "matrix" type keypad I had linked, but I am unsure of how to get it to accept a 4 digit pin to activate the solenoid. The original idea stemmed from the link below which is a from scratch RGB keypad for an interior door in a building. I realized that it was far to much work for what it is worth and going with a pre-made keypad or whole system like the enforcer was a better idea.

How-To: Make an RGB combination door lock (Part 1) - Hack a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…