Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trying to build a charging system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruttis3668

my class is building a robot for capstone we have 2 24v dc motors being powered by 2 12vdc drill batteries wired in series to produce the 24 v.
what i need help with is to build a charging system that uses a 12vdc adapter and when it is plugged in switch the batteries from series to parallel in order for the battery paks to charge.

any help would be greatly helpful.

This circuit allows to you charge a 24v project from a 12v charger. It converts the two 12v batteries from series to parallel:
**broken link removed**

Where can i buy that switch and what is the name of it?

Hi Emilrudin,

It's a standard DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) switch. Telling you where to buy it is difficult because you didn't put your location in your profile, but I would start with Digikey or Mouser.

It's a very standard type of switch, there are millions of options out there that would work.

A 12V battery needs a higher charging voltage of about 14V. From a 12V adapter?? No.
To charge a battery you must limit the current. Where is your current-limiting resistor?

Hi Emilrudin,

It's a standard DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) switch. Telling you where to buy it is difficult because you didn't put your location in your profile, but I would start with Digikey or Mouser.

It's a very standard type of switch, there are millions of options out there that would work.

Hi! I come from Sweden.
Sorry for bad english!

But I got 2 wheelchair motors 17.5 amp eatch. So i think i need a switch that coud hadle about 40 a?

This circuit allows to you charge a 24v project from a 12v charger. It converts the two 12v batteries from series to parallel:
**broken link removed**
Did anyone ever get a schematic?
Is the top right terminal shorted to the middle left terminal?

erroneous attachment removed
Expanding on the above, I *think* this is right, and should avoid any conflict between the 2. Not checked it though

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-31_15-14-0.png
    upload_2017-7-31_15-14-0.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Third time lucky
upload_2017-7-31_15-59-25.png

If you forget to flick the switch though you could end up charging just one battery, not both

Last edited:
this is more like what you explained you wanted
Car or truck trailer connectors if you need more amps
no switch
RobotCharger.jpeg

this is more like what you explained you wanted
Car or truck trailer connectors if you need more amps
no switchView attachment 107344
Good solution! Would be better if both 12VDC leads (sets) were separaded/isolated into two separate 12VDC - since I think the original poster wanted to charge the Two 12V batteries separately.
Just my 2.5 cents/worth....

Question about two batteries in parallel:
If you have two batteries running in series (24V) and they discharge slightly differently they might not have the same voltage when the "switch" is flipped and they are now in parallel. I am thinking about the spark when a 12V battery is connected across a 11V battery.
Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back