Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trouble with P16PRO40

Status
Not open for further replies.
bencanon said:
Pin 23 - high when clock is high
Pin 24 - high when output is high

this seems to be your problem. there are inverting buffers between pin 23 and "clock" and pin24 and "data out". but they are showing the opposite behaviour. the rest of your programmer is working as expected. have you checked your buffer IC on a separate breadboard to see if it is alright or not.

samcheetah said:
bencanon said:
Pin 23 - high when clock is high
Pin 24 - high when output is high

this seems to be your problem. there are inverting buffers between pin 23 and "clock" and pin24 and "data out". but they are showing the opposite behaviour. the rest of your programmer is working as expected. have you checked your buffer IC on a separate breadboard to see if it is alright or not.

I know this is a total noob question, but I've never used logic/buffers before.
How would I go about testing the chip?

Also, the settings for 7406 in WinPICProg have the "Invert" boxes checked for clock and output.

its simple! first connect the power supply connections; 5V on pin 14 and GND on pin 7. now the rest of the pins are as follow;

there is an inverter between pin 1 and pin 2 with pin 1 being the input
there is an inverter between pin 3 and pin 4 with pin 3 being the input
there is an inverter between pin 5 and pin 6 with pin 5 being the input
there is an inverter between pin 13 and pin 12 with pin 13 being the input
there is an inverter between pin 11 and pin 10 with pin 11 being the input
there is an inverter between pin 9 and pin 8 with pin 9 being the input

give different logic levels on the inputs and see the corresponding output. and dont forget to download the datasheet of the IC

Ok, if I'm reading my meter right, the buffer IC is fine, and acting as it should. The issue with the clock and data ports was solved by setting it to 7406, and then to custom, and unchecking the Invert boxes under data and clock. The data and clock are now active when the corresponding input is low. However, I still can't program a chip, it gives me the same error.

samcheetah said:
if you have a P16PRO with a 7406 then you shouldnt choose any option other than 7406. you dont need to select the custom settings because the hardware isnt custom made, it is a standard P16PRO with a 7406.

have you tried a different PC????

The chip is a 7405, which confused me slightly when choosing the options in software. However, the chip appears to function as an inverter, when tested separately from the board, and wasn't functioning in the circuit, I believe because two of its inputs were inverted to begin with. It doesn't program a chip on either setting though. I haven't tried it on another PC yet, but I might later tonight, if I can find one with a copy of Windows installed.

bencanon said:
The chip is a 7405, which confused me slightly when choosing the options in software.

The schematic link on P16Pro40 from Nigel's site also use a 74LS05. So I think it would be a good idea to include 74LS05 as a choice in the "hardware/programmer type" pull down menu. But it is up to the designer. So notices the image title as "wish.gif".

Attachments

• wish.gif
    wish.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 800
eblc1388 said:
The schematic link on P16Pro40 from Nigel's site also use a 74LS05. So I think it would be a good idea to include 74LS05 as a choice in the "hardware/programmer type" pull down menu. But it is up to the designer. So notices the image title as "wish.gif".

OK - I've updated my current working version :p

Thanks Nigel.

This is a bit off topic. Do you happens to know the device ID of 16F628A?

I just built a serial programmer. I read my 16F628A but both chips give an device ID value 0f 0x1065. Memory byte higher or lower than this read 3FFF so the programmer is reading the device id location.

I searched the web but some say 0x0083. The MPLAB included 16F628A.dev said 0x1060. Confused. :(

EDIT: Problem sorted. Difference in last digit might due to device revision. Thanks

eblc1388 said:
Thanks Nigel.

This is a bit off topic. Do you happens to know the device ID of 16F628A?

I just built a serial programmer. I read my 16F628A but both chips give an device ID value 0f 0x1065. Memory byte higher or lower than this read 3FFF so the programmer is reading the device id location.

I searched the web but some say 0x0083. The MPLAB included 16F628A.dev said 0x1060. Confused. :(

It's listed on the 16F628A programming datasheet, it's given as:
"PIC16F627A 01 0000 010"
"PIC16F628A 01 0000 011"
"PIC16F648A 01 0001 000"

As to what that means?, I don't really know - I've never found them terribly useful, and of course the older devices don't have them!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
As to what that means?, I don't really know - I've never found them terribly useful, and of course the older devices don't have them!.

Thanks Nigel. It is there so that an intellgent programmer can warn the user that the PIC one selected in the software does not "match" with the actual device found.

However, this failed because the ID values changes with device revision. I was prompted to investigate as a big red message warning me that the "real" device is not a 16F628A which it is.

eblc1388 said:
Thanks Nigel. It is there so that an intellgent programmer can warn the user that the PIC one selected in the software does not "match" with the actual device found.

Yes, I know why it's there, but it's only on the more recent devices, as it's not on ALL devices I've never bothered implementing it.

Update: The P16PRO40 still doesn't work, even after I replaced the buffer and the all caps. I tried an El Cheapo design programmer, and it failed under ICProg with the same error as the P16PRO40.

Any ideas as to further issues?

Are you sure you are using the correct cable?

I was facing the same problem,until I realised the cable had some missing connections.

If everything else in your circuit seems to be working fine,Vpp is a good 13V,then the cable connections might be worth checking out.

sandeepa said:
Are you sure you are using the correct cable?

I was facing the same problem,until I realised the cable had some missing connections.

If everything else in your circuit seems to be working fine,Vpp is a good 13V,then the cable connections might be worth checking out.

I have used 2 different cables, one with all connections verified, and one with just the needed ones verified. I have also tried plugging the P16PRO40 directly into the PC parallel port. Same error on all configurations.

Does anyone have experience with the ICD2 clones sold on ebay and similar places? I'm about sick and tired of wasting time with these $%#@$% parallel/serial programmers.

I'm not familiar with the eBay clones but I built one on a 2 inch by 3 inch Radio Shack prototype board using a slightly modified circuit from the stolz.de.be web page and it works very well... Total cost: approximately $15 USD...

If anyone finds a printed circuit board, please let me know? This would be a very nice half-hour project with a nice PCB... As it is, it took me nearly four hours assembly time spread out over several days to build it with point-to-point wiring (#30 kynar wire) on this proto' board...

Good luck... Regards, Mike

Attachments

• icd2_clone__2_583.jpg
    icd2_clone__2_583.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 422
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back