Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triggering a thyristor / thyristor bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Edwards

Can anyone help me with the following circuit.
I am replacing a bridge rectifier in a dc welding set. I have acquired 2 thyristor / thyristor modules (International Rectifiers IRKT 250 / 16). I am wanting to build a circuit to trigger the thyristors. I dont need any phase control, I want them to be fully on all the time. I would like to isolate the control from the power side using trigger transformers. The bridge supply will be 20 to 30 v AC. Would I be better supplying the control voltage through a seperate transformer to synchronise to the mains?
Can anyone design me a circuit that takes into account the cost of the modules. I would hate to blow them by miss firing them.
Thanks in anticipation of a reply.

If you are just intending to use them as big diodes then all you need to do is tie the gate lead of each SCR to its own anode through a 20 - 100 ohm resistor. They will be self triggering and will work just like regular diodes that way.

Last edited:
Hi tcmtech
Thanks for the quick response. I didnt think it was as simply as that. You are correct, I just want to use them as big diodes.
Hopefully I will be back welding again soon.
Thanks again.

Regards
Jim Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back