Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Treadmill board receiving power but no LEDs turning on

Treadmill_help

Hi everyone, apologies in advance for my ignorance. My experience with electronics is limited to knowledge from highschool many years ago.

I have a PaceMaster Gold Elite VR treadmill that is not powering and neither are the board's LEDs. I checked both fuses for continuity, and verified that the board itself is receiving power from the outlet (so not a circuit breaker, cord, or outlet issue). Nothing looks burnt or broken either.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this before? What troubleshooting steps can I take next to figure out the issue?

Here's what the board looks like for reference (not my board):
pacemaster-treadmill-silvergoldplatinum-motor-controller-474368_540x.jpg

Treadmill: PaceMaster Gold Elite VR
Board: PaceMaster Digital P.S 501009 Rev.F
Symptoms: Treadmill not powering on. No LED lights on either.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As Diver says, please post some good, sharp, close-up photos of your PCB?

The photo you linked to is not good enough to see component type numbers & your board may have signs of failure, even if they are not obvious.

Hi everyone, apologies in advance for my ignorance. My experience with electronics is limited to knowledge from highschool many years ago.

I have a PaceMaster Gold Elite VR treadmill that is not powering and neither are the board's LEDs. I checked both fuses for continuity, and verified that the board itself is receiving power from the outlet (so not a circuit breaker, cord, or outlet issue). Nothing looks burnt or broken either.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this before? What troubleshooting steps can I take next to figure out the issue?

Here's what the board looks like for reference (not my board):
pacemaster-treadmill-silvergoldplatinum-motor-controller-474368_540x.jpg

Treadmill: PaceMaster Gold Elite VR
Board: PaceMaster Digital P.S 501009 Rev.F
Symptoms: Treadmill not powering on. No LED lights on either.

Thanks in advance!

You will need to know how to measure voltages and type them on a schematic for every node to find all the components damaged. It could take days or months. But to us it is a simple DC power supply with perhaps 50W audio like drivers to power the motor and a low power supply for the smart console controls with a Red magnetic dead switch to kill all the power. So start tracing power with a DMM.

My first place to check would be the little 8 pin IC that is in the lower centre of the board.
I suspect that is a high voltage SMPSU chip - but without being able to see the type, I don't know for certain and cannot suggest any places to do initial tests.

My first place to check would be the little 8 pin IC that is in the lower centre of the board.
I suspect that is a high voltage SMPSU chip - but without being able to see the type, I don't know for certain and cannot suggest any places to do initial tests.
I thought that it might be a conventional power supply, which would only power the display and control parts. I would have expected a DC motor run directly from the mains via a controlled rectifier.

I agree that we need more information to know how it is supposed to work.

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. Turns out it was the magnetic kill switch that was the issue. It has come loose behind the display panel and wasn't making a connection with the magnetic safety key. Treadmill powered up after repositioning it, but now I get a ERR 300 when starting it :facepalm: I'll have to do a little more digging to find out what that means, but at least it's powering on now.

I would have expected a DC motor run directly from the mains via a controlled rectifier.
It looks to me like it does, the upper right section with AC in, a bridge rec below the board and a power control device on the heatsink.

It also appears to have the controlling MCU or dedicated IC at the left though, so it seems reasonable the transformer is the low voltage supply, feeding the recs and caps at the lower left?

I was guessing something like a TOPSwitch or similar single chip PSU, based on what looks like a small bridge rec to the right of it. Without more details it is all just guesswork!

But, it could equally be eg. a comparator controlling a relay for a "soft start" function for the big capacitors rectifier circuit, or a current feedback amp for the motor drive etc, with the big transformer just a normal 50/60Hz one, as you say!

That would fit the apparent layout, with the two large devices bottom left being voltage regulators.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back