Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transimpedance Amplifier for Photocurrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

tongkin

Greeting,

I would like to use Transimpedance Amplifier to convert the current from photodiode into voltage signal. Is it possible to design without inductor and capacitor?

If yes, can anyone tell me how? Or do you know where to have it?

Thank you.

Basically you just connect the photodiode to the inverting (-) input of an op amp with a feedback resistor between that input and the op amp output. The output voltage equals the diode current times the feedback resistor value.

But to avoid peaking of the signal versus frequency you will need a small feedback capacitor in parallel across the feedback resistor, typically several pF in value.

What frequency response and gain do you need?

Thank you for your reply,

I forgot to say that I would like to design in transistor level including OP circuit. Is it possible to design without any capacitor and inductor?
The BW requirement is not high, just above 100MHz is ok, and the gain is above 114dBohms.

Besides, if I use operational transresistance amplifier(OTRA) to implement TIA for photodiode, is it work?

Thank you,

Attachments

• OTRA.jpg
    OTRA.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Designing a transistor level OTRA is a very difficult task, requiring experience in high frequency circuit design, layout and detailed transistor knowledge. And 100MHz is a high frequency for such a circuit. It is certainly not a project for a beginner. And whether you need a capacitor or inductor to build the circuit is the least of your worries.

Designing a transistor level OTRA is a very difficult task, requiring experience in high frequency circuit design, layout and detailed transistor knowledge. And 100MHz is a high frequency for such a circuit. It is certainly not a project for a beginner. And whether you need a capacitor or inductor to build the circuit is the least of your worries.

Thank you for your suggestion,
I think, I will take other's OTRA circuit to use in my project.
My problem is "Is the characteristic of OTRA can be use to convert the photocurrent signal into voltage signal?"

Thank you,

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back