Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pins 2&3 are only for the fuse.. pins 1&6 are the primary winding. 2&3 run through the board then to 1&6 I assume.
So does that mean I should put brown and gray on pin 1 and blue and violet on pin 6? Then get a 1amp 250v fuse and put it between pins 2&3?
Yes.
The only thing is that you don't have to use the PCB link between pins 1 and 2. In fact, you don't have to connect the primary to the circuit board at all.

You want live -> fuse -> transformer -> neutral. As long as you have that, it's fine. If you do that by connecting using the circuit board, that's a perfectly good way of doing it. If you don't take the live and neutral wires to the circuit board at all, and have other connectors and an in-line fuse, that's also fine.

With a toroidal transformer, you'll no longer be using the PCB to support the transformer but you'll be providing alternative arrangements. Similarly you can provide alternative arrangements for the live, neutral and fuse.

There is one tiny point. It won't stop anything working but it's just following convention. On the transformer you have brown and blue wires. Mains power in Europe uses brown for live and blue for neutral. When I advised brown and grey to pin 1, I didn't realise that was live. It follows convention better to put blue and violet to pin 1.

The brown has to be connected to the grey, and the blue to the violet. If you swap one pair it'll blow the fuse.

Yes.
The only thing is that you don't have to use the PCB link between pins 1 and 2. In fact, you don't have to connect the primary to the circuit board at all.

You want live -> fuse -> transformer -> neutral. As long as you have that, it's fine. If you do that by connecting using the circuit board, that's a perfectly good way of doing it. If you don't take the live and neutral wires to the circuit board at all, and have other connectors and an in-line fuse, that's also fine.

With a toroidal transformer, you'll no longer be using the PCB to support the transformer but you'll be providing alternative arrangements. Similarly you can provide alternative arrangements for the live, neutral and fuse.

There is one tiny point. It won't stop anything working but it's just following convention. On the transformer you have brown and blue wires. Mains power in Europe uses brown for live and blue for neutral. When I advised brown and grey to pin 1, I didn't realise that was live. It follows convention better to put blue and violet to pin 1.

The brown has to be connected to the grey, and the blue to the violet. If you swap one pair it'll blow the fuse.
Ok. Yea I see what you're saying. My thinking was that there is already existing spade connectors on the board for the wires dangling in the oven right now and the wires on the new transformer, I was thinking, solder violet and blue together and solder to pin 1 and the other 2 wires (brown and grey) together to pin 6. Same theory for the secondary. That should work right? Or am I missing something?

Ok. Yea I see what you're saying. My thinking was that there is already existing spade connectors on the board for the wires dangling in the oven right now and the wires on the new transformer, I was thinking, solder violet and blue together and solder to pin 1 and the other 2 wires (brown and grey) together to pin 6. Same theory for the secondary. That should work right? Or am I missing something?
There's nothing missing there.

Apart from the fact that there are two primary windings, connecting the transformer to the mains is just live and neutral, like any other electrical load.

There's nothing missing there.

Apart from the fact that there are two primary windings, connecting the transformer to the mains is just live and neutral, like any other electrical load.
Thank u for your help and education. I really do appreciate it.

The colors are a little different than expected..

Attachments

• 20201111_160016.jpg
    20201111_160016.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
So I would hook black to violet and yellow to red (N)? Then green and brown (0) and red (10) and blue (10)?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201111-210925_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201111-210925_Drive.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 135
You have to connect yellow and red together, and you have to connect black and violet together. It doesn't matter which pair is live and which is neutral. In the old UK colours, red is live. In USA colours, black is live, so take your pick.

On the secondary, you need to connect red and brown together and to where pin 9 went on the PCB. Blue and green go to 7 and 12.

When you've powered it up, check that there's about 20 V ac between green and blue.

You have to connect yellow and red together, and you have to connect black and violet together. It doesn't matter which pair is live and which is neutral. In the old UK colours, red is live. In USA colours, black is live, so take your pick.

On the secondary, you need to connect red and brown together and to where pin 9 went on the PCB. Blue and green go to 7 and 12.

When you've powered it up, check that there's about 20 V ac between green and blue.
Thanks again for all your help. Got to learn some good stuff and save some money. Oven works great!

Wow, the Hitachi 4-bit microcontroller!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back