Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transferring artwork to steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken3983

Yeah...I know it seems weird. But I have been wanting to try this out for awhile. I need to find a way to transfer artwork from a laser printer to steel sheet. The steel is around 22 gauge I think, so it's rather thin. I've tried ironing with transparencies with no luck unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there ANY way I can do this? I thought it would be the same as cooper boards, but I guess not. Photo paper? What?

Ken

The problem with the steel is, if you manage to get it on, how are you going to etch your tracks?
They are usually fibreglass (or similar) with a layer of copper on one or either side. Once the copper is removed by the etching process you have sections which conduct (the tracks) and the fibreglass material which doesn't conduct. The problem with the steel is it all conducts and you can't exactly 'etch' it. Resulting in one big short circuit.

If anyone has a way, however, I stand to be enlightened.

Have you ever done toner transfer with a PCB? What you are trying to do would be more difficult.

You need to get the paper and metal warm enough to melt the toner. That would take a while with 22 gauge.

A while back another poster mentioned using an oven. The tough part here would be getting enough clamping pressure.

Maybe preheat the metal in a oven then use a roller under it while ironing to simulate a laminator.

How large is the work?

Are you going to etch the metal? If not would a decal work. Pulsar has a method that does not require heat.

erosennin said:
The problem with the steel is, if you manage to get it on, how are you going to etch your tracks?
They are usually fibreglass (or similar) with a layer of copper on one or either side. Once the copper is removed by the etching process you have sections which conduct (the tracks) and the fibreglass material which doesn't conduct. The problem with the steel is it all conducts and you can't exactly 'etch' it. Resulting in one big short circuit.

If anyone has a way, however, I stand to be enlightened.

The OP did not say he was doing a PCB. Could be for decoration or maybe a mask for chemical etching of some sort.

I hope he is not attempting a steel PCB. :eek:

3v0 said:
The OP did not say he was doing a PCB.
You make a valid point... :rolleyes:

It may seem like a stupid idea, but you could try putting your steel sheet in a plotter, if you have access to one? There are different colours available and I think it could handle the 22gauge thickness, and the ink 'should' be of a permanent type, but it might run if you washed it with water, you could spray it with silicone spray then. (This Stuff)

Don't know, just a suggestion, I don't have access to a plotter to test it out myself...

Are you trying to make printer circuit boards or other designs? Will there be islands that fall out, if you etch clear through? Or, do you just want a positive design on the steel, like lettering?

First, there are commercial sign makers who can do laser etching of almost any design.

Second, I used an inexpensive vinyl cutter, threw away the "positive" picture, and then used the "negative" mask as a stencil. Vinyl is resistant to most etching solutions. If you don't have a vinyl cutter, sign shops and auto dress-up places probably will be able to cut a vinyl mask for a reasonable charge. John

Is it hot enough?

ken3983 said:
Yeah...I know it seems weird. But I have been wanting to try this out for awhile. I need to find a way to transfer artwork from a laser printer to steel sheet. The steel is around 22 gauge I think, so it's rather thin. I've tried ironing with transparencies with no luck unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there ANY way I can do this? I thought it would be the same as cooper boards, but I guess not. Photo paper? What?

Ken

I don't think there should be any difference. Make sure the steel is clean (shiny) and like some other poster suggested try to pre-heat it. Place some newspaper under it when ironing, as an heat insulator.
HP toner melts at 200°C and I assume most other manufactures are in the same range, so you have to get everything above this temperature.

I should have more precise in my question. Other than PCBs and electronics, I'm also an avid gun collector. The question was meant to be for transfering the artwork to steel then cutting it out for a custom part for my gun. I thought it might fall along the same line as etching your own PCB. It seems the same principle could apply.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back