Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transfer images from mobile phone to computer via wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I use 1 of my phones to take pictures of various things around the house. Sometimes i take 15 images at once, sometimes only 1 image. And it is really a pain to connect the mobile phone to computer via micro usb each time, not to mention i have to do this sometimes like 30 times a day, which will inevitably damage my micro usb port on mobile phone. Also the problem is it takes time, everytime i have to connect the phone, access it through explorer, copy the file, etc.

It would save me a lot of time if i could use some kind of program that would automaticaly transfer image from my mobile phone to computer as soon as i take the image. Mobile phone is connected to wifi all the time, using the same network as my computer. For now i think it is best if it only transfers images, as video files tend to be quite big and automaticaly transfering videos will probably lock my device for quite some time. But i wouldn't mind having an option to manualy transfer the videos also, over wifi that is. I am still deciding whether i want the files to be transfered and after that deleted from my phone, or if maybe i want a copy to be kept on the phone incase something goes wrong. To make things clear, i do not want a 2 way sync -> i want files only going from phone to my pc, i do not want files from pc going to mobile phone.

So what app would you suggest for this ? I am using Samsung galaxy S7 edge, its not rooted and if possible, i would avoid rooting.

I am using Bluetooth for that purpose.

Another way is a photo sharing service like Google Photos that does already an automated backup of the photos of your cell phone. You download then the photos from the Web site of Google Photos to your PC.
I also got another image sharing account and I upload the photos from the cell phone to there, and then the same, downloading of those phortos from their Web site onto my PC.

If you are using an Android phone, you can use an app like "WiFi File Transfer" which allows Transfers between phone and PC on a common WiFi network. You will need to use a FTP client like "File Zilla" on your PC. Both the App and Prog is Freeware.

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping for something simpler. I could even settle for my mobile phone simply being visible in network like my other computers so i can simply make a shortcut on desktop and clicking it, i access images folder on the phone. Is at least this possible ?

Bluetooth is simple as you only select the sharing symbol on a photo and then the Bluetooth symbol. On the laptop, I press 'accept' and that's it.

But you can use an app like WiFi Server FTP on your cell phone, too.

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping for something simpler. I could even settle for my mobile phone simply being visible in network like my other computers so i can simply make a shortcut on desktop and clicking it, i access images folder on the phone. Is at least this possible ?
In the method I mentioned, once you connect, as long as you don't disconnect, your phone will be always available to be accessed, like a USB penstick.

I used an app on Android called "SyncMe" which allows you to sync a folder on your phone (i.e your pictures folder) with a shared folder on your network.

Mine has worked flawlessley for a year or so now.

Thank you picbits for your answer, what a fantastic app. I will describe how i set it up if anyone else needs it.

Ok, so the way i wanted it to work is, i take a picture or video on my mobile phone, which is connected to same network as my computer. And i want it to copy all files from DCIM camera folder to a folder on my desktop. Alright, since i am using free version, i can set it to do this every 1 minute and also i can manualy press sync now (which i wont be doing since i can always wait that 1 minute, actualy, by the time i sit down it usualy syncs anyway, but syncnow button is useful if someone cant wait. If i paid for app i would have also an option to sync all the time when its connected to wifi).
But now the important part, i actualy had to play around with this for a while before i got it right. Ok so i dont want anything to do with my mobile phone except making photos and videos. So when i go into my folder on desktop, i do with images and videos what i want, edit them, post them, move them. So here is the important part. When i move or delete them, it means i no longer need them. And it will delete the same copy on my mobile phone also. This is very important, so i dont have to manualy delete files on mobile phone AND more importantly, after i delete a photo, it wont simply copy it again from mobile phone.

This is just awesome, so simple. Granted, speed of transfer is a bit slower than using a cable. Not sure i can do anything about that ... even my laptops connected to eachother top at about 6MB/s file transfer speed ... not sure if the problem is weak laptops wifi card, or my modem/router, or maybe both. If anyone knows how to further improve speed i will be glad to hear it. But for now, this is awesome and will save me soo much trouble, not to mention the poor microusb port. In 99% cases i transfer pictures so when i take videos, if i really wanna rush it, i can always use cable, but i doubt i will, i will just go eat an apple while it transfers.

Awesome, thank you again, if you lived near me, i would buy you a beer :D

Dropbox would also work well for this. On a computer, you set a folder called Dropbox, and anything saved in that folder is synced across all your devices. On phones, one of the options to syncing your photo directory. Everything in the Dropbox folder is also available via their web site, so if you need some file you can get it from any computer.

I store all my design stuff in Dropbox. Save something on one computer, and it seems to be virtually instantly available on all my computers.

Google photos automatically backs up all photos on your devices (Apple and android) and you can access them from all other devices.

Good to know for the future, to have some backup, dropbox and google photos. But for now, i just cant get over how happy i am with this application. I often need some simple task to be done and i search online and come up empty. Really happy :)

I will still be glad if anyone can comment on speed of transfer. For images its lightning fast but for very large video like 1GB it might take quite a long time. S7 edge is supposed to be 150 Mbps which is around 18Mb/s. I tried both normal wifi and 5G mode, both set at 40 bandwidth, even tried 20 and 80 and even joining both wifis together. I seem to be limited to that 6.8Mb/s which isnt bad, but i would love to hit the limit of 150Mb/s or around that, considering modem/router is very close to my phone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back