Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traffic light system using 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemilsan

I want to build a traffic light system that uses only the 555 timer with astable and monostable configuration only (without decoder or counter). Please help me.....

jemilsan said:
I want to build a traffic light system that uses only the 555 timer with astable and monostable configuration only (without decoder or counter). Please help me.....
I suggest that you connect the 555s (configured as monostables) in a ring.

For example, say you wanted just a red, amber and green lights on for say 1 minute, 15 sec and 1 minute respectively.

Mono A would drive the Red light and be set for 1 min
Mono B - amber
Mono C - Green.

When the outoput of Mono A goes low, it triggers Mono B, when Mono B goes low it triggers Mono C. The cycle re-starts when Mono C goes low.

You may need a pulse to start the sequence when the power is switched on, but I suspect it won't be necessary as the monos will quickly lock into the correct sequence.

A counter or shift register solution would be more elegant.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will try to build the circuit and will post the results later......

Also bnote that the circuit may be stable at switch on, ie. nothing happens. If this is the case, then you will need a power on start pulse.

I constructed the 3 monostables in a ring. Only the first LED turns on but it will not blink. I triggered the circuit with an astable configuration but only the first two LED's alternates, the third one is not turning on.

Is there any other thing that I can do??? Please help....

jemilsan said:
I constructed the 3 monostables in a ring. Only the first LED turns on but it will not blink. I triggered the circuit with an astable configuration but only the first two LED's alternates, the third one is not turning on.

Is there any other thing that I can do??? Please help....
It is impossible to help unless you post your circuit.

What happens if you open the loop ie. disconnect the wire between the output of the third mono and the input to the first mono? If it is working properly, then the first LED should glow when the first mono is triggered, then the second then the third as each mono triggers in turn. If that works, then it should work when you reconnect the loop.

I don't know what you mean by "Only the first LED turns on but it will not blink" The first LED wiil come on while the first mono is triggered.

He wants you to send it to him when you find out the right design so he doesnt have to do any work. **************

Deleted by moderator!.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello everybody I am looking for some ideas on a project. I'm in my second year in electronics so I need a little advice.
okay , alothough I am also stil niave at this field of study, Im at my 1st year of Electrical & electronics engineering.
I have built 2 plain circuits on my own of how can a traffic lights be operated by both, Electrically, means using the typical electrical contactors, as well as electronically, means using Thyristors with Ne555 timer ICs. and I tried to do a comparison inbetween each one to the other and tried to poin out the prons and cons of each one to the oter as well.

I know that is not that pretty interesting project to accomplish as it sounds pretty simple, but I thought that would be a helping hand to you through your Project Planning as you may get an advanced version of my idea.
Contact me for more details

okay , alothough I am also stil niave at this field of study, Im at my 1st year of Electrical & electronics engineering.
I have built 2 plain circuits on my own of how can a traffic lights be operated by both, Electrically, means using the typical electrical contactors, as well as electronically, means using Thyristors with Ne555 timer ICs. and I tried to do a comparison inbetween each one to the other and tried to poin out the prons and cons of each one to the oter as well.

I know that is not that pretty interesting project to accomplish as it sounds pretty simple, but I thought that would be a helping hand to you through your Project Planning as you may get an advanced version of my idea.
Contact me for more details

The post you replied to is over two years old. He may no longer need the circuit. (On the other hand, if he didn't get ..... oh, heck, you know).

traffic light

I would like to build the traffic light system.
At first orange light will be blinking for 4 seconds and then trun to red light for 6 seconds and after that north and south will jump to green and while east and west stay at red light and goes on....

please anyone help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back