Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tracking Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about build a metal detector to scan all candidates entering the exam room, so that all cell phones could be detected (whether or not switched on) and confiscated for the exam duration?

It's for BA. Maybe a cellphone signal detector would do it. I made things complicated :eek:.
But I want to build not only a device that can detect but also pinpoint it. :D Thanks

Require every student to give his cell phone number. Then autodial until the culprit is found.

Frankly, I am appalled at the prevalence of cheating implied by so many of the threads on this subject. Any act of cheating should result in failure for the course, with the provision that it must be repeated with a C or better grade. Two acts of cheating is expulsion. Those were the conditions of the "Honor Code" at the schools I attended. It was actually a recruiting point in those halcyon days of the early 60's. I don't recall ever knowing first hand about someone cheating. Of all the years I was in school, I only knew from secondhand information of two cases that occurred.

I think cheating in universities and colleges is one example where deterrent is far more effective than detection.

John

Require every student to give his cell phone number. Then autodial until the culprit is found.

Frankly, I am appalled at the prevalence of cheating implied by so many of the threads on this subject. Any act of cheating should result in failure for the course, with the provision that it must be repeated with a C or better grade. Two acts of cheating is expulsion. Those were the conditions of the "Honor Code" at the schools I attended. It was actually a recruiting point in those halcyon days of the early 60's. I don't recall ever knowing first hand about someone cheating. Of all the years I was in school, I only knew from secondhand information of two cases that occurred.

I think cheating in universities and colleges is one example where deterrent is far more effective than detection.

John

That is just a specific example of the application. There are other places which prohibits the use of mobile phones.

That is just a specific example of the application. There are other places which prohibits the use of mobile phones.

We don't know where you are, but for the sake of discussion, let's assume that you live in a country where public nudity is not allowed.

Now, let's assume someone is in a public place where cell phones are not allowed. What happens if that person proceeds to take off her cloths? Do you keep large boxes handy to put people in who might be prone to such actions?

Of course not. And for the same reason, you don't need expensive tracking devices or Faraday cages, all you need to do is say no cell phones and have appropriate penalties for violations of that rule/regulation/law.

In the US, for example, cell phones going off during cultural events is quite common. Now if the event is a Rock concert, no one will notice or care -- it may even add to the ambiance. If it is a symphony at Severance Hall, it will be noticed and is not allowed. The violator is removed and not allowed to return. It is a pretty effective deterrent.

My point is, you can't stop certain behaviors, but you can very effectively deter them. Here's another example of effective deterrence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_c81Nnsc0

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back