Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tpa3116d2 Amplifier not working properly

S-fr

I got this amp a while ago and now that im testing it, its heating very quickly, qnd the led is blinking, which i suppose should be, ik an amp is supposed to heat up a bit but not to the level that i could burn the finger when touched, i have add the pics, if anyone could help revive it, that would be a great help, also i did attached my testing speaker to see if there was any noise when i turn it onn, but there wasn't any.

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_170248_896.jpg
    IMG_20231030_170248_896.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20231030_170231_215.jpg
    IMG_20231030_170231_215.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 63
i did attached my testing speaker to see if there was any noise when i turn it onn, but there wasn't any.
Which terminals did you attach it to?
I see L+, L-, R+, R- on the underside of the board. I'm guessing it's a bridge-tied output.

Your amplifier appears to be well used and not new.
Where did you get it?
Was it said to be working?

There should be a heatsink mounted on top of the IC.

Look at this one, which seems to be very similar to yours:

My best guess is that the IC is damaged.

But, have a look here:

1698677383959.png

Is that a solder blob shorting two pins together?

JimB

Your amplifier appears to be well used and not new.
Where did you get it?
Was it said to be working?

There should be a heatsink mounted on top of the IC.

Look at this one, which seems to be very similar to yours:

My best guess is that the IC is damaged.

But, have a look here:

View attachment 143179

Is that a solder blob shorting two pins together?

JimB
Mann, i didnt even saw that, also i did bought and used it for a while, it been like 8-9 month since then it was in my bucket with all the other apms, ik i it works for sure but now that im using it, its not working, ill look into that pin shorting problem, and mann even i didn't notice that, thanks for noticing and pointing it out for me, ill update what happen next, and yes it also got a heatsink like that but ik for sure that class d ics like that aren't supposed to leave a burn mark on the finger when touched

Mann, i didnt even saw that, also i did bought and used it for a while, it been like 8-9 month since then it was in my bucket with all the other apms, ik i it works for sure but now that im using it, its not working, ill look into that pin shorting problem, and mann even i didn't notice that, thanks for noticing and pointing it out for me, ill update what happen next, and yes it also got a heatsink like that but ik for sure that class d ics like that aren't supposed to leave a burn mark on the finger when touched
Not much help for the amp you've probably killed, but to avoid burnt fingers NEVER just touch something you suspect is hot with a dry finger - lick your finger first, and if it's hot you'll hear the saliva 'boil' before it has time to burn you.

Old TV engineers trick :D

You could try using external power to reduce heat with 5V for debugging (4.5V min), although it is probably damaged inside.

Check if Fault pin is active. If one of the bridge-tied switches has faulted it will dissipate too much heat.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slou336b/slou336b.pdf compare with eval board. Record test results on pins here.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back