Touch pad switches what are they called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of using a button or switch I wanted to use a little pad that when touched would act like a SPST button. I know I have seen them around I just dont know what they are called.

Thanks,
Kyle

LifeForce4 said:
Instead of using a button or switch I wanted to use a little pad that when touched would act like a SPST button. I know I have seen them around I just dont know what they are called.

As far as I know they are just called 'touch switches', but I've never heard of commercially available ones - it's generally part of the overall circuit, and can be quite complex to make. They also tend to be very unreliable, at one time they were common on TV sets - it was quite usual to have to jump in the air to change channels, particularly in damp weather :lol:

Making a 2-terminal touch switch is quite easy (2 terminals, wich you connect by touching them) with just a 40-series chip.

You could do the same thing with two of these switches and an SCR. A normally open pushbutton switch to activate the SCR, and a normally closed pushbutton switch to reset the SCR.

Thanks for all the tips guys I found what I think I was looking for. Its panasonic's Thin Surface Mount Light Touch Switches EVQ-PQ and P6.

What are you trying to switch, and why do you want a touch switch?

I have a paintball gun that I want to make a pad trigger for instead of the normal button that is pressed when I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…