Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Touch pad switches what are they called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of using a button or switch I wanted to use a little pad that when touched would act like a SPST button. I know I have seen them around I just dont know what they are called.

Thanks,
Kyle

LifeForce4 said:
Instead of using a button or switch I wanted to use a little pad that when touched would act like a SPST button. I know I have seen them around I just dont know what they are called.

As far as I know they are just called 'touch switches', but I've never heard of commercially available ones - it's generally part of the overall circuit, and can be quite complex to make. They also tend to be very unreliable, at one time they were common on TV sets - it was quite usual to have to jump in the air to change channels, particularly in damp weather :lol:

Making a 2-terminal touch switch is quite easy (2 terminals, wich you connect by touching them) with just a 40-series chip.

You could do the same thing with two of these switches and an SCR. A normally open pushbutton switch to activate the SCR, and a normally closed pushbutton switch to reset the SCR.

Thanks for all the tips guys I found what I think I was looking for. Its panasonic's Thin Surface Mount Light Touch Switches EVQ-PQ and P6.

What are you trying to switch, and why do you want a touch switch?

I have a paintball gun that I want to make a pad trigger for instead of the normal button that is pressed when I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back